This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

In this society, it seems like something as simple as wearing makeup is a double headed sword. No matter if you choose to wear it or not, someone seems to have an issue with it and may even voice their opinions about it. As if it’s their choice what you do with your body, right? These types of comments range around the spectrum of people questioning why someone “wears too much makeup,” or that someone would “look prettier if they made an effort,” or even that someone “looks so good with makeup on.”

I am 19 years old, and personally, I use makeup as a way to “glamorize” myself when I go somewhere fancy, or to give myself a little bit of a confidence boost from time to time. I’ve heard the various types of comments that most people seem to say to someone who is wearing makeup.

1. “Why are you wearing so much makeup? You don’t need it.”

I am wearing the amount that I feel comfortable in. So thanks for your input, but I’m doing just fine.

2. “Who are you trying to look good for?”

This one makes me want to say, “Hm, maybe, I don’t know… myself?” I personally do my makeup for no one other than my own self to gain some confidence. Chances are, a boy won’t appreciate the 25 minutes it took me to get my winged eyeliner this fierce and perfectly even anyway.

Despite that, the comments still pour in when I choose to embrace my fresh face, makeup free.

3. “Wow, you look so different when you don’t do your makeup.”

Who would have thought I would look different when I don’t have a bold red lip or a killer smoky eye? This is crazy news!

4. “Are you feeling okay? You look sick.”

I’m feeling just peachy inside and out. I just didn’t put on some bronzer this morning because I was loving the skin I was in.

All in all, I believe that you should express yourself and seek confidence in the way you best see fit. If you wake up every morning and find beauty in your natural skin, work it! If you wake up and feel badass when you slay your makeup game, then do it! Do not let other’s opinions or commentary determine what you do with yourself. You are the one in control of your decisions and you should do whatever you want to do. Now go out and love yourself, honey, you’re killing it either way.

My names Amber! I enjoy puppies of all shapes and sizes, Bob's Burgers and Double Dunker ice cream. I'm really good at being super awkward so invite me to gatherings if you want to seem cooler. I think i'm asleep more than i'm awake, and i enjoy to speak my mind :)