This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Earlier this year, the band Good Charlotte announced they would be releasing a new album and going on tour. This sparked a newly kindled fire inside fans, especially the ones from way back in the 90s. Good Charlotte had been “on a break” for almost six years, resulting in no new content being produced. In July of 2016, they released their sixth album titled Youth Authority.

Good Charlotte includes five members: Joel and Benji Madden, Billy Martin, Paul Thomas, and Dean Butterworth. While all of these guys are super important to the band, the two guys people gravitate to when they hear the name Good Charlotte are the Madden brothers. Since I was a kid in late elementary school, I have admired these two guys for the kind of people they were. After I met them back in April and again this past Thursday, my heart filled with joy and love because everything I always imagined about these guys was true. They were so friendly, down to earth, and humble.

I am a firm believer that music can heal. For as long as I can remember, Good Charlotte, as well as bands like them, has been there for me in my darkest of times. I can reflect on any bad experience I had and remember which band I went to for help or inspiration. Most recently, Good Charlotte saved me from my slump once again this past week after the election.

As a Hillary Clinton supporter, my heart shattered this past Tuesday as I watched the state map fill up red. For months I had been supporting Clinton, much like millions of others in this country. Because Donald Trump is one of the biggest loose cannon’s ever to run for president, I honestly thought that Hillary was going to win.

As the votes were being tallied, I felt ill. I was so nervous about what was going to happen to this country if Trump won the presidency. I was continuously refreshing Facebook, Twitter, and the Yahoo! Election Map. Early Wednesday imorning, my worst fears came true. Donald Trump was elected president of the United States. Upon refreshing my Twitter newsfeed, two tweets caught my eye:

Upon reading these, I felt tears well up in my eyes. These two men that I have looked up to and loved for so many years were feeling the same as I was in the same moment. In order to be close to them during such a difficult time, I went straight to their music catalogue in search of the perfect anthem to ease my sorrows. I landed on an oldie, but definitely a goodie, called Hold On. When I saw them in concert this past Thursday, they played this song. It was just a reminder that despite who we are, we are all in this together. We are all “on the same boat.”

Position: Secretary and Senior Editor in Chief of the Kutztown University Chapter. My name is Taylor McKeown. My major is secondary education with a concentration in English. I love all things pop punk, pizza, and cat related. Aside from reading and writing, my favorite things to do are binge watch Friends and One Tree Hill on Netflix, as well as take lots of naps. My goal for Her Campus is to provide articles that are relatable, humorous, and interesting to read.