Guy Red Guitar Plants Outside Bench Summer
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus

“Me & You Together Song” by The 1975 Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

English indie pop band The 1975 have released another song from their upcoming album Notes on a Conditional Form set to release on April 24th; the album was originally supposed to drop on February 21st but was recently pushed back. “Me & You Together Song” was released on Thursday, January 16th and had fans reminiscing over their older sounds. The song has a catchy guitar melody that stands out upon first listen. Matty Healy, the band’s leading man, adds his unique vocals over the track and sings lyrics that transports listeners into a pretty, pop soundscape. The song almost sounds like a coming of age teen movie as Matty sings “I’ve been in love with her for ages / And I can’t seem to get it right / I fell in love with her in stages / My whole life.” It’s an all around feel good, fun tune from a band whose expertise is masking sad lyrics with happy instrumentals. 

This is the fourth song they have pre-released and it is completely different from the other tracks. The 1975 introduced the “Notes” era and album with their self-titled intro, a constant on every The 1975 album, but this one is the boldest statement they’ve ever made with a 5 minute monologue by climate change activist Greta Thunberg. She talks over a mellow piano track about the demand for action. The lead single, “People” was a hard-hitting heavy rock anthem, inspired by current events such as climate change. Healy screams out for listeners to “Wake up, wake up, wake up / it’s Monday morning and we’ve only got a thousand of them left.” This song was bold and sent a vital message, leaving listeners anticipating what the band would do next because it was not like anything they had done before. They followed it up with “A Frail State of Mind,” a slower, sadder song where Healy sings about a topic that many can relate to. The lyrics tell a story about social anxiety, and how that affects daily life as he sings “Go outside? / Seems unlikely / I’m sorry that I missed your call / I watched it ring / Don’t waste their time. I’ve always got a (frail state of mind.)” 

It can be said that each one of these songs is distinct in sound, and the lyrics cover a wide range of topics and emotions creating an excitement before the full body of work is put into the world; it is definitely one of the most anticipated albums of 2020. Fans have been given more reasons to be eager as the band recently gave more information in regards to the project. It contains 22 songs in total; the album is set to be an hour and twenty minutes long and after its release, the band will head out on yet another long tour, their most recent ending in 2019. The band has also mentioned that for every ticket purchased a tree will be planted.In addition, fans can volunteer for shows near them to help the band go green for their tour. In a recent interview where the band discussed the record, Matty Healy told BBC Radio 1 host Annie Mac “It’s very full circle,” he said, “It kind of references every part of The 1975.” 

Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur
Jenna Boyer

Kutztown '20

Writer, Advocate, Tattoo Enthusiast, Occasional Actor, Full-Time Nerd.