Culture > News

Joe Biden and His Policies: Let’s Talk About Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

After these horrendous past four years in the United States, I think there are many people like myself who already knew who they were going to vote for: the Democrat going against Trump. That person happens to be former Vice President Joe Biden, and even though many young people like myself were rooting for progressive candidates like Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, it is important to note what kind of policies and ideas Biden has if elected president. When I go onto social media, I don’t see many people talking about those ideas and I’m not sure why. I decided to go through Biden’s website and talk about some important visions he has for the future. 

1) Climate change is a huge threat to our planet. With Trump not understanding climate change and even worse, not believing in climate change, this puts us in great danger. Trump pulled the U.S. out of the Paris Climate Agreement, he rolled back Obama’s Clean Power Plan, his Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) loosened regulations on toxic air pollution, and many others. Biden believes in science, believes in climate change, and plans to address the climate crisis. Part of his plan is to ensure the United States reaches a “100% clean energy economy and reaches netzero emissions no later than 2050.”  He states, in detail, that during his presidency he will set milestone targets for his goals, make large investments in clean energy as well as invest in clean energy innovations for the economy. This will create many jobs. His administration also promises to take on huge companies who contribute to mass pollution which drastically harms communities of color and low-income communities. 

2) Biden calls gun violence a “public health epidemic.” Trump has never done anything about gun control during his four years as president and decides to send only “thoughts and prayers” when a mass shooting occurs in the country. In the 90s, Biden helped pass two different congress acts that took on the NRA. If he wins the presidency, he will create a legislature to ban assault weapons. He also supports stricter background checks for every single gun sale made in the U.S. and wants to end all online sales of firearms, ammunition, and gun parts. Biden also has ideas for a buy back program of guns. His website states that “this will give individuals who now possess assault weapons or high-capacity magazines two options: sell the weapons to the government, or register them under the National Firearms Act.” 

3) COVID-19 has completely engulfed the U.S., this country has the most cases and the most deaths in the world. Trump has made things worse by calling it a hoax, he hasn’t issued a nation-wide mask mandate, and he really has no plan at all. He forced schools to reopen and now, college campuses across the country are virus hotspots adding thousands of new cases daily; this could’ve all been avoided. Biden wants to make COVID-19 testing free everywhere in the country and he wants to test faster by establishing many mobile testing sites and double drive-through testing sites in each state. He also states that he will give a daily briefing to give updates and speak about how many tests are being done per day. Biden wants to make sure he “reverses the Trump Administration public charge rule, which places new, burdensome restrictions on documented immigrants who receive public benefits and discourages all immigrants from seeking health care services for COVID-19.” It is worth mentioning that Biden also has a plan on his website about opening schools safely and believes that the government should be helping schools in order to reopen with all of the supplies they may need. He specifically calls on Congress to pass an emergency package just for schools: “This package should include funding for child care providers and public schools — particularly Title I schools and Indian schools — for personal protective equipment; public health and sanitation products; custodial and health services; and alterations to building ventilation systems, classrooms, schedules, class size, and transportation.” He also wants to upgrade technology for schools as well as ensure that schools have enough psychologists, nurses, and social workers so that students get the mental health help they need during these stressful times.

It’s important to also say that Biden is pro-choice and believes in a woman’s right to choose, sees immigration as an economic strength, will protect LGBTQ+ rights, will protect pre-existing conditions with his healthcare plan, and has plans to reform the United State’s criminal justice system. To see the rest of his ideas and plans for policy, check them out at his website at https://joebiden.com/joes-vision/.

Biden was not my first choice, and I know he has a problematic past when it comes to certain issues. There is always the issue of politicians not keeping their promises as well; however, not voting in such a crucial election may result in another four years with one of—if not the most dangerous—presidents in modern history. This election isn’t just about Joe Biden versus Donald Trump, it is about the United State’s future and every single vulnerable citizen who is affected by the poor decisions of our incompetent leader. Register to vote.

Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur