It is Valentine’s Day but it is Also Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

It is now almost time for Valentine’s Day, a time where many are looking forward to spending time celebrating their lovers, friends and family. Although some may only think of the month of February as the host for Valentine’s Day or the leap year month, it also holds special importance as Black History Month. 

As a “young Black woman in college”, I take pride in learning about successful black-owned businesses, but I also have a soft spot for the lovers’ holiday. In this article, I will be highlighting black-owned businesses that you should check out for any of your Valentine’s Day needs. 

1. Black-Owned Businesses for Your Lingerie Needs

Valentine’s Day is a day for love but also a day for feeling sexy. One of the most well-known black-owned lingerie businesses is Savage X Fenty. Other businesses include Made for Curves, Love Vera, and Kelly Kloset. For a look at more black-owned lines featuring beautiful lingerie, check out this article: https://hellobeautiful.com/playlist/check-out-10-black-owned-lingerie-brands-to-shop-for-valentines-day/item/6

2.     Black-Owned Businesses for Your Makeup Needs

Makeup can also be an important part of your Valentine’s Day

experience.  On this day, you may want to try something new with  your look, and these black owned makeup brands can help you do so:

• Pat McGrath Labs

• Iman Cosmetics

• Fenty Beauty

• Beauty Bakerie

• Juvia’s Place

For a list of even more black-owned makeup brands, check out this    

article!

3.     Black Youtubers for Your How-to Needs

One of the biggest sources for how-to videos is Youtube. This 

Valentine’s Day, check out some black Youtubers who can show you how to innovate your style, create a makeup look, and tie your creativity together. Amongst the many, here are 10 black beauty influencers with some of the biggest platforms:

• Jackie Aina

• MsAaliyahJay

• Nyma Tang

• Makeup Shayla

• ItsMyRayeRaye

• Iris Beilin

• Cydnee Black

• Patricia Bright

• Alissa Ashley

• Shalom Blac

Hello my name is Corryn! I am 21 years old and a senior at Kutztown University. I love photography, art, and a good podcast. I have seen every episode of Law&Order SVU too many times to count, I'm a huge Gordon Ramsay stan, Michelle Obama encompasses everything I want to be, and I love meeting new people.
Jenna Boyer

Kutztown '20

Writer, Advocate, Tattoo Enthusiast, Occasional Actor, Full-Time Nerd.