This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Leigh Whannell’s adaptation of “The Invisible Man” will take you on an emotional rollercoaster full of fear, suspense, and anticipation. I was speechless throughout the movie by the number of unexpected jumpscares and plot twists. It is a horror movie that is scary and disturbing, while also giving viewers a complex story of abuse and revenge. 

Cecilia Kass (played by Elisabeth Moss) manages to flee the house of her abusive, controlling, scientist ex-boyfriend Adrian. Weeks go by as Cecilia tries to recover from her trauma while staying with a friend, who is a police officer. When she learns her ex-boyfriend committed suicide, she is suspicious of the circumstances. Soon, objects in her home begin to move, doors open by themselves, and Cecilia knows it’s Adrian. No one will believe her, given his supposed suicide. As Adrian becomes more violent and the consequences turn worse, Cecilia decides to fight back herself. 

First, I want to acknowledge and applaud Elisabeth Moss’s performance as Cecilia. Her phenomenal acting skills evoke sympathy for her character as she’s struggling to convince anyone that Adrian is alive and invisible. When Adrian’s actions are blamed on her, Cecilia becomes more frustrated and frantic. Believe me when I say Elisabeth Moss was perfect for this role. 

Viewers can feel Cecilia’s uneasiness because they too cannot see or predict what Adrian will do next. In some scenes, we don’t know if he’s present, waiting for the perfect opportunity to cause harm. “The Invisible Man” psychologically taunts us; no one knows when Adrian will strike next. 

It’s difficult to watch Cecilia’s mental health and life deteriorate at the hands of an abusive sociopath. She loses control and what’s worse, no one believes her. Friends, family, and police all believe Cecilia is a threat because the idea of invisibility is inconceivable. Unfortunately, they have no visible proof to believe her. 

I prefer realistic horror movies, especially if they have a scientific aspect. I don’t want to reveal too much about the science behind Adrian becoming invisible, but I will say it is believable and creative. The movie gives a thorough explanation to viewers so they understand Adrian’s invisibility and how Cecilia eventually can manipulate it. 

Overall, I would highly recommend “The Invisible Man.” If you are looking for a psychological horror with a female lead, watch this movie. The story is satisfyingly scary and will leave you astounded. 

Watch the trailer for “The Invisible Man” here.

Sydney Weiland

Kutztown '21

Currently, I'm a senior at Kutztown University majoring in English with minors in professional writing, social media theory & strategy, and music and a writing intern with HerCampus. Outside of classes, I love to play my oboe, go thrifting, and cook.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur