This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

It’s no secret that Black artists in the past often did not get the recognition they deserved. Thankfully today, many Black artists are finally rising in the charts, and getting their music out there. I wanted to highlight some big names that are present in 2021 and how much of a hit their music is.

Megan Thee Stallion

Megan Jovon Ruth Pete is an American rapper, songwriter, and singer. She is primarily a hip-hop artist, and released her debut album “Good News” last year in 2020. Her most notable songs are when she was featured in “WAP” by Cardi B, and her single “Savage (Remix)” featuring Beyonce. Since “WAP” and “Savage (Remix)” she’s really come to the spotlight as these songs reached number one on the Billboard Top 100.

Lil Baby

Dominique Armani Jones is another American rapper, singer, and songwriter. He is more into the trap music scene, and in 2020 he released a song, “The Bigger Picture,” which highlights the problem with police brutality in America as of late and encourages his young listeners to go vote. This song is also his highest charting song of his career so far.

Beyoncé

It’s no surprise that Beyoncé is mentioned here, being one of the world’s best selling recording artists. Beyoncé Giselle Knowles is an American singer, songwriter, producer, and actress. Rising to fame with Destiny’s Child, an American girl group from the 1990s, she’s been a prominent figure for decades since. One of her most recent songs, “BROWN SKIN GIRL” released in 2020, is an important song as it celebrates Black girls and women’s natural skin and appearance.

Childish Gambino

Donald McKinley Glover Jr. is an American singer, actor, rapper, comedian, and many other titles to boast about. Notably, his song, “This is America,” reached number one on the Hot 100 in 2018, and with that, he won four Grammy awards for the song in 2019. Most recently, he released his fourth studio album in 2020, “3.15.20.”

I could go on about so many different artists, but I mention these ones because some of them have come into the spotlight recently with their hit songs. Meanwhile others have been around for years and it’s amazing how much they achieve and how they stay in the mainstream’s eye. If you haven’t, give these songs a listen and maybe you’ll find a new artist to enjoy!

Sabrina is a senior Professional Writing major with a Social Media Theory and Strategy minor at Kutztown University. As of August 2022, she is the senior editor for the Kutztown University chapter. Her interests are crochet, pets, and browsing social media.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur