The Importance of Rescue Animals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Pets bring so much joy to the lives of families everywhere. Unfortunately, some pets are mistreated and abused by their owners and they end up in shelters, waiting for someone to love them. They wait for a family to call their own. It is so important to rescue these animals and give them a loving home. 

My family has been rescuing dogs for a few years now. When I was ten, we rescued a retired racing greyhound named Prince. Prince, like other greyhounds, were abused and forced to race. We had him since he was five years old, until he passed away at age fourteen. We gave him all the love and care we could. 

A few months later, we rescued another dog from a local no kill shelter. 

Unfortunately, this dog was not the best fit for our family. We had him for two years. The abuse he suffered as a puppy caused him to be very fearful, and he could not be around anybody except my immediate family. We recently had to return him to the no kill shelter. It was a hard decision to make, because he had become a part of our family, but we knew he needed a home with a single owner to provide him with all the attention he could get. 

Today, my family rescued a puppy. We rescued this puppy through an organization called Pooches on the Move. They transport dogs from Tennessee to various locations in the northeast, such as in Pennsylvania and New York. 

I am a firm believer in rescuing animals. I am not trying to discourage anyone from going to the pet store. There are just so many animals that need rescuing and a loving home. If the unfortunate circumstance such as my family’s occurs, it’s okay; that means that dog (or whatever pet you choose) is not fit for you, but may be a better fit for somebody else. If you are interested in adopting a rescue pet, you can check out www.poochesonthemove.net. 

I have always grown up with a dog in my home and I always will. They bring so much joy and extra love to my household. Although I would love to purchase every puppy in the pet store, I couldn’t be any happier about my family’s choice to rescue. 

I'm Anna, 21, and from Northeastern Pennsylvania. I love The Office (and proud to be from right outside the Scranton area). I'm an avid pizza eater and coffee drinker and your typical gym rat. When I am not busy studying English Education, I enjoy reading, writing, baking, and taking Netflix naps.