This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

I arrived at my dorm room at Kutztown University for the fall of 2019, being greeted by my friend from high school and now my college roommate, who had already beaten me there. It felt surreal at first, calling myself a college student instead of a high school student, where there was a much more rigid schedule and different everything. 

I was a biology major, having aspirations of working with animals, only to realize pretty soon that I lacked any sort of passion for science. By the end of September that year, I was already looking into switching my major. 

When I finally settled on professional writing, things started clicking into place for me. I enjoyed writing and I knew I was decent at it. But, I wanted to see just what I could do with it.

Fast forward to  present day, I am just a month shy of becoming a college junior. I’ve accomplished a few things in my writing endeavors so far, including writing here for  Her Campus! 

Being an almost-junior  gives me that surreal feeling I had  coming to college for the very first time. It doesn’t seem real that I’m halfway through my education here. It really struck me when I met with my advisor and he suggested I make a course map of each semester for the rest of my time in school in order to graduate on time. It doesn’t feel like I’ve been here this long, but here I am. I’ve been a student for almost two years.

Why didn’t high school go by this fast? That would’ve been nice considering how absolutely boring and tedious it was. 

Even though college is going by way too fast, I’m glad to be here to pursue my career goals and have fun with some close friends all while  learning how to be independent.

My freshman year was all about finding my place in a major and this year has been about finding my place in various clubs and organizations and establishing myself as a serious writer. Now, I can’t wait to see what junior year holds for me.

Sabrina is a senior Professional Writing major with a Social Media Theory and Strategy minor at Kutztown University. As of August 2022, she is the senior editor for the Kutztown University chapter. Her interests are crochet, pets, and browsing social media.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur