This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Maskne is another common term that has come out during COVID-19. Maskne is defined as acne forming on your face because of constant mask-wearing. The fabric of the mask rubbing against your skin, along with hot air, sweat, and oils cause the skin to break out. I have always struggled with heavy acne throughout my life. I was actually starting to get clearer skin at the beginning of the year, so wearing a mask definitely hasn’t helped my skin to improve any faster. Here are some common skincare tips to help prevent your maskne from getting worse.

Wash Your Face Daily

I wash my face in the morning when I wake up, and before I go to sleep. I’ve been using CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser and Clean & Clear Essentials Dual Action Facial Moisturizer, and I’ve found that these products help keep my skin in check. I also use a clean cloth towel to dry off my face.

Patch Treatment

Mighty Patch is a godsend. All you need to do is clean the area where you have a pimple starting to emerge, place a patch on it, and forget about it for a few hours. I will admit, I have had a few patches of these on my face underneath my mask. These patches also have an invisible pack, where it’ll blend into your skin. These could be best for when you have a Zoom Meeting and a troublesome zit you want to hide!

Check Your Mask

I tend to pick a mask I will wear for the day, and then wash it when I’m done with it. I avoid re-wearing masks because of the risk of oils and dirt on the masks that may make my acne worse. I also wear fabric masks that will stay snug on my face. If a mask moves around too much, it can cause your skin to irate with the constant rubbing of fabric on your face.

With these few tips, your maskne will hopefully calm down. I know that the face wash may not work for everyone, and not everyone has dry skin like I do, but these products are what helped me best. I still have bad days with acne, and it’s important to know that acne is something everyone gets!

Allison Matero

Kutztown '21

Just a girl who is passionate about self-growth.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur