This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

I don’t.

I’m just kidding, well, sort of.

As a writer, I have faced many challenges. But my biggest and most obnoxious obstacle? The dreaded “writer’s block.” It’s like a dark cloud that continues to expand around me until I can’t see anything through it. There are times when it can overpower me so much that I can go weeks without writing anything, which isn’t the best thing for an aspiring author. But it happens to the best of us.

Here is how I deal with it.

There are moments when I find myself spiraling into a massive hole of research on one topic. Suddenly, I’m like an expert on that topic for a brief amount of time.

I am also constantly fighting the urge to smash my computer.  I swear, it sits there and mocks me with a blank word document page.

It often gets to the point when people notice that I haven’t written anything in a while.

There are also those moments when I begin to regret every plotline and character, I have ever created and written down in my entire life.

Don’t mind me. I’m just sitting here, trying to generate a semblance of an idea for me to write about.

I find myself re-reading novels that I have loved over the years. Maybe, just maybe, they can reignite my passion for telling fantastic stories all over again. If not, well then I have a good distraction from my lack of writing for a couple of hours. Of course, I find myself flipping through the story with the mind of a writer instead of reader sometimes.

When I finally develop an idea, I can picture the story, characters, or plot perfectly in my mind. But sometimes, I still struggle with finding the correct words to bring it to life through paper.

However, nothing can compete with that overwhelming joy you feel when you are able to overcome writer’s block and write the story you have been dying to tell.

Now, it’s time for me to gear up and face the dreaded evil known as writer’s block. Wish me luck as I try to vanquish this ferocious beast!