This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Holiday shopping can be a real pain. I never know what to get for the men in my family, and while women are more fun to shop for it’s still hard to know exactly what they would like. When I was a kid all the gifts under the tree were a surprise. Now everyone asks me specifically what I want or I pick something out and they just put it away until the holidays. Grandparents, aunts, and uncles ask for gift cards. My brother wants to get his girlfriend a candle. My cousins ask for money. I miss the days when gifts were personal, well thought out, and heart felt. When I go shopping for all my friends and relatives I try to get them personal gifts. These are some tips I can offer to keep holiday shopping fun and easy, but still original. 

1. Think about their hobbies. My mother just started doing her own nails after 25 years of having them done at a salon, so I got her fun nail things. I did not spend much but it was a very personal gift for her and I know she will love it and use it. 

2. Think about where they are in life. My brother is going to be graduating from high school this summer and going to college. I plan on getting him something useful for his dorm room. My sister just started living on her own a year and a half ago, so I made her a set of matching mugs for her apartment. Now she will think of me whenever she drinks her morning cup of coffee. 

3. Think about what they really need. As we get older, a list of things we want becomes a list of things we need. One Christmas I asked for socks and leggings because it was practical. This year I asked my mom to get me a 2018 planner. My mom noticed that my cousin carries the same purse every day that we got her for Christmas years ago. It may not be falling apart yet, but it’s bound to someday if she uses it everyday. This year she will be getting a new purse so she can have the option to switch them out as she pleases. 

4. Get crafty, if you can. College students are on a tight budget. Save money and still give the perfect gift by making it. For my mom’s birthday I made her a huge photo collage of all of the things she loves. I don’t mean to brag but I think it was her favorite gift. She wants to have it framed. If you are good with arts and crafts, go for it. Make your loved ones something by hand. Craft stores have a very wide variety of tools and accessories that make it easy to be crafty. It’ll save you money and be the perfect gift. 

5. Remember, it’s the thought that counts. Holidays are not about what you get, it’s about what you give. Not much thought goes into giving gift cards, money, or a candle. Those are generic gifts that can be given to pretty much anyone. Even if you don’t know the person well enough to gift them with something super personal, there are plenty of other options that send the message you were specifically thinking of them when buying their gift. My mom  likes to buy women scarves. Scarves are pretty, you can pick out a color that would look nice on that person, and you can never have too many of them. For men, a great gift is pajama pants. They’re warm, soft, and not a lot of men think to buy them for themselves. These are both very simple and inexpensive gift ideas that almost anyone can enjoy. 

Show your loved ones how much you care about them with a well thought out gift this year. Good luck shoppers and happy holidays!!