Holiday Feel-Good Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Now that Thanksgiving is over, and people will stop bi**hing about how I’m skipping the much anticipated turkey day, its finally time to get into full-on Christmas mode.

This past weekend I found myself in the Christmas spirit as I decorated the house with traditional holiday décor while blasting a festive Luis Armstrong soundtrack, brewing some hot chocolate.  Sounds like something straight out of a movie, right? I’ll concur that it was not short of name calling: “you cotton headed ninny muggings” and more insults like “you’re the Grinch” or “it will be coal for you!”

As the big-day approaches, it’s important to not let the commercial side of it all get in the way of what is truly important: connections.

The holidays are about experiencing the magic in front of you. They’re about embracing the ambiance of the Christmas lights, scented Douglas fir trees, and carolers traveling from door to door. (give them a chance)

I often find that Christmas pops up faster than anticipated and I never feel like I’ve fully encompassed it. So, this year, I decided to make the ultimate holiday-feel-good bucket list.

Ten ways to get into the holiday spirit: 

1. Volunteer at a shelter

What better way to get into the spirit like giving back? Putting someone else’s needs in front of your own is really rewarding. It may not seem like much, but to some it is everything.

2. Travel to see a light show

Search for a light show near you! Enjoy the lights, music, and good company as you drive through a popular holiday attraction through the park.

3. Offer a helping hand at a service event

Christmas is a big fundraising time of year. Offer your assistance for a good cause. Try anything from Toys for Tots collections, to an event at your local fire house. It’s also a big time for Meals on Wheels which I highly encourage getting involved in to remind you of what Christmas is all about.

4. Try Caroling!

I know that you probably laughed at this one, or even thought to yourself “I can’t sing” but these events can actually be really fun! And I promise, nobody will be able to hear you. Keep in mind: “The best way to spread Christmas cheer is to sing loud so all can hear”

5. Ice Skate at your local pond

You can travel to the big city for some very festive ice time, or even stay closer to home and bring skates to your local pond! (The wait is much shorter!!) This is ideal for family outings, friend groups, or even a nice holiday date.

6. Bake Bake Bake

This is where Pinterest comes in handy! Search the app for your favorite holiday cookie recipe! Cookies make a good gift for an acquaintance as well as your boyfriends parents (because I know we’re always stumped as to what to get them)

7. Be an Elf for the day 

Most malls offer a free-holiday gift wrapping. Jump in! This may seem tedious but once you’re there you’ll be taken over by all of the cheer around you!

8. Sit by the fire and watch your favorite Christmas movie

There’s nothing like cozying up by the fire with fuzzy socks on under a warm blanket watching a Christmas movie! Indulge in the spirit.

9. Attend a tree lighting

Yes, it’s probably going to be cold. But what better excuse to wear your favorite winter hat and attend a beginning of the season event! It kind of gets the ball rolling.

10. Visit your favorite café

Sit down, order a warm cup of coffee, and relax. As these times can get stressful, it’s important to take some time for yourself (or at least with good company) Watch the joy that will fill the room as people go in and out preparing for the holiday ahead.

My name is Carmelina Stolzenberg and I'm a senior at Kutztown University. I've always been passionate about writing as it has helped me through my life experiences. Being an English major- writing is a huge part of my life. You can probably find me drinking green tea with a book in my hand on any given day. My goal for HerCampus is to write about topics I am inspired by and share them with an audience that can hopefully find something to relate to in my writing.