Hawaii Five-0, You Hurt Me So

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Around the time that I entered my teenage years, I discovered a love for crime shows via my father. Shows like Law & Order: SVU, Criminal Minds, and Blue Bloods are major favorites of mine. Then I stumbled across the remake of the 1968 TV series, Hawaii Five-0.

There were a few times I managed to catch the show when a network would play reruns here and there. I’d always liked it because there was a different feel to it than anything else I’d seen, so in a burst of nostalgia I decided to check out the remake (I’m very cynical about remakes as I’m someone who likes when as much of the source material is used or at least referenced).

This new version of Hawaii Five-0 was, in my opinion, better than the original. It had everything I wanted: drama, mystery, action, and witty quips between partners. I was hooked from the first episode.

As I watched the show, I found that my favorite character was Kono Kalakaua, a badass woman who could do what the men of the show could do, within reason considering she just left the police academy and was still learning the ropes of being a cop. In the 1968 series, Kono was originally a male character and I was so excited to see that they were bringing on a new perspective.

Throughout the show, they brought in other female characters who could kick ass, Cathrine who was part of the Navy and Lori who was part of Homeland Security, being the two most notable. They added a dynamic of badass women who could do what the male characters of the show could and their abilities were never questioned by their teammates. The guys knew what they could do and they encouraged it, then they both left the series–their characters removed from the show and we turn our attention completely to Kono.

I was so annoyed because I wanted more than just one female character. I wanted to see a couple other woman show their skills and be the badasses that I know Hawaii Five-0 is capable of producing. 

Between seasons 7 and 8, the actors Daniel Dae Kim (Chin Ho Kelly) and Grace Park (Kono Kalakaua) started pushing for raises. Neither of them were making nearly as much money as their white co-stars, Alex O’Loughlin (Steve McGarrett) and Scott Caan (Danny Williams). Kim and Grace have both been part of the show since day one and played amazing characters. I had hope that the producers would give them the raises because of the fan base, oh how wrong I was.

Kim and Grace both threatened to leave Hawaii Five-0 if they weren’t given the raise, but the producers never conceded. So they left the show, taking with them two characters that had been fan favorites.

As much as I wanted to boycott the show, I’d heard that they were adding on three new members of the Five-0 Task Force. So, over Thanksgiving break, I binged all the episodes that had aired at that point.

Tani Rey was the first new character to be brought in to the show. Meaghan Rath came in and quickly established herself in the first few minutes of meeting her. I had hope that maybe I was going to get a couple female characters, that the hole Grace Park leaving would be filled by more female roles. Then they introduced Junior, a recently retired marine looking for a job. After him, Adam Noshimuri, a reoccurring character from early on in the show and Kono’s husband, alluding to being the next add-on to the team.

I was given a strong female character, which, as I said before, the show is capable of producing, but was only given one. If they do end up adding Adam as a member of the task force then the ratio of chicks to dick is 1:6, if they don’t then it will be 1:5.

As I’ve stated before Hawaii Five-0 is capable of giving female characters that can and are willing to kick ass. They just won’t do it. I have a little hope. I believe that Alicia Brown, a character who was introduced at the end of season 7, could become a series regular. If they do then perhaps that will be a start to bringing in more female characters to the main parts of the show.

My name is Samantha but I like to go by Sam or Sammi. I wanted to write for Her Campus because it's an amazing platform for me to speak my mind. I'm a student at Kutztown University who majors in Professional Writing and I also hold two minors, one in English Literature and the other in Women's and Gender Studies. I'm an aspiring novelist who has a deep love of pop culture. If you want to know more about me, read my articles.