Graduation and the Five Stages of Grief

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

As graduation is just a few short days away, I am feeling a wide range of emotion. It seems like only yesterday that I was moving into my freshman dorm, about to learn from all of the inevitable mistakes that I have made. Now I’m here, four years of college later and about to enter the infamous “real world”. The only way that I can try to understand or process the way I am feeling is when I compare this constant state of instability to the five stages of grief.

Denial- I think I’m perpetually embracing the denial of what will happen on May 13th, 2017. Denial now. Denial then. Denial after. Right now, I am wondering if I will ever NOT be in denial. When people ask, “Are you excited to graduate?” my response is initially “uhhhhh” followed by “not really” and a few awkward laughs. Don’t ask me that. I’m not at the acceptance phase yet. It is a very triggering question at the moment.

Anger- Right now my anger stems from not having time to have a life these next few days due to the demands of course work/student teaching. I have neglected so many opportunities to be with friends due to the need to stay motivated.

Bargaining- Bargaining at this stage in the game is basically me wishing there were more hours in the day. I value putting time and effort into my work, but I would also like to enjoy the festivities in the coming days. You only graduate once! 

Depression- YUP. Student loans start in 6 months. Need I say more? I will miss the relationships I have built within the community composed of my peers and my professors. I will miss walking around our beautiful campus. I will miss my independence, my carefree attitude and, most of all, being within walking distance to all of my friends.

Acceptance- Refer to denial.

My name is Carmelina Stolzenberg and I'm a senior at Kutztown University. I've always been passionate about writing as it has helped me through my life experiences. Being an English major- writing is a huge part of my life. You can probably find me drinking green tea with a book in my hand on any given day. My goal for HerCampus is to write about topics I am inspired by and share them with an audience that can hopefully find something to relate to in my writing.