Five Things I’ll Miss About College (And Five I Won’t)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

My college career is coming to a close, and I’m so excited to begin the next chapter of my life. Finishing school after being in it for 16 years feels a bit strange. As I’ve said many times before, I’m excited for the next chapter of my life. There’s so many things I’ll miss about being at Kutztown University, though there’s definitely some stuff I will gladly leave in the past. 

What I’ll Miss: 

1. Freedom

One of the best parts about college is having the freedom to do what you want when you want. Graduating from college means having way more responsibilities, and even though you’re independent, it just isn’t the same. 

1. Support systems 

I’m part of the TRIO Student Support Services on campus, and they’re always available when I’m having a hard time with something or I just need some encouragement. I’m really going to miss meeting with them a few times throughout the semester to catch up. 

1. Someone else cooking 

I definitely take for granted being able to go to the dining hall and pick up my food quickly without having to worry about the cooking, or the dishes.

1. Faculty

I’ve had great luck with my professors over the past four years, and it’s sad to think I’ll never get to have them for class again. 

1. HerCampus

HerCampus has been such a great experience for me, and I’m glad I joined it my sophomore year. I’ve met a lot of wonderful people and gained so much knowledge. Although stressful at times, I’ll miss writing weekly articles. 

What I Won’t Miss: 

1. Spending 

Although the real world is expensive, I won’t miss spending hundreds of dollars on books I’m only going to use a couple of times and paying the tuition bill each semester. I’m still hoping for a student loan debt cancellation. 

1. Living in a dorm

Living in a dorm can be fun at times, but I’m happy I won’t have to live in one anymore. I’ll be able to live in my own place with my own rules, and I’m looking forward to having some more space. 

1. Having to leave my dorm for everything  

Another negative to living in a dorm is having to leave it whenever I need something, particularly food. When it’s snowing or raining out, I don’t want to get dressed and go outside to get something to eat. Walking to my kitchen will be much simpler. 

1. Parking 

No matter what school you go to, there’s always parking complaints. I can never find a spot close enough and every time I leave a good spot, it gets taken. It’s one of the most frustrating experiences ever. 

1. Finals

Finals week is approaching, and I’m stressed to the limit. Having to study for everything and have all these final papers due is going to be a weight off of my shoulders. 

It’s been fun, KU. Thanks for the memories!

Jessica Garrison is a professional writing major and women's, gender, and sexuality studies minor at Kutztown University.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur