This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

March is Women’s History Month, so I’ll be using this time as an excuse to rave about some of my favorite movies that just so happen to be directed by women. Women don’t have as many opportunities as men do, so not only is it a challenge to create a movie, but also to have it be recognized. In no particular order, here’s a list of five of my favorite films that are directed by women.

Thirteen (2003), directed by Catherine Hardwicke

Catherine Hardwicke worked with one of the stars, Nikki Reed, to create the story of Tracy Freeland, a thirteen-year-old girl who follows a new friend down the path of sex, drugs, and destruction. Warning: there’s a lot of triggers in this movie, so it definitely isn’t for everyone.

Lady Bird (2017), directed by Greta Gerwig

I’ve said before that Lady Bird is my favorite movie. I can watch it a hundred times and never get sick of it. The titular character goes through her final year of high school and navigates love, friendship, and her relationship with her similarly stubborn mother.

Wonder Woman (2017), directed by Patty Jenkins

This is my favorite DC Extended Universe (DCEU) film and a beautiful origin story for Diana Prince. We get to see her enter the outside world, realize the full potential of her power, and transform into the inspiring superhero that is Wonder Woman.

Booksmart (2019), directed by Olivia Wilde

High school seniors Molly and Amy want to enjoy one wild night before they graduate from high school after realizing they spent the entire time focused solely on their studies. Olivia Wilde knew what she was doing when she created this heartfelt and hilarious adventure.

Promising Young Woman (2020), directed by Emerald Fennell

I watched this movie the other week and, not to be dramatic, but it changed my life. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. Carey Mulligan stars as Cassie, an ex-med student who’s out for revenge on former classmates who wronged her best friend.

Here’s to women directors during Women’s History Month and every month after that.

Jessica Garrison is a professional writing major and women's, gender, and sexuality studies minor at Kutztown University.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur