LeavesTV?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
LeavesTV?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five of my Favorite Female Characters: TV Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

I made a list before of my favorite female characters in film, and there’s no way I can go on without acknowledging my favorite women on TV. In no particular order, here’s five of my favorite women that ignite the television screen.

Emma Swan, Once Upon a Time

Once Upon a Time was my favorite show when it was on the air, and the main reason for that is the main character, Emma Swan. Not only do I love the actress who plays her (Jennifer Morrison), but Emma’s character development is amazing to watch. She starts as a closed off young woman and has no experience with family, but by the end she’s learned to become vulnerable and is surrounded by her loved ones. I’m such a sucker for that trope.

Mazikeen “Maze” Smith, Lucifer

I’ll admit, I wasn’t a fan of Maze when I first started watching Lucifer. She seemed like a useless character, constantly in the shadows of everyone else. But once the show started showcasing her, I fell in love with her charisma, sass, and hidden heart.

Cristina Yang, Grey’s Anatomy

Anyone who’s watched Grey’s knows that Cristina stole every scene she was in. I was devastated when she left after ten seasons, but her humor lives on. I swear, all of the best quotes come from Cristina, especially “Don’t let what he wants eclipse what you need. He is very dreamy, but he is not the sun. You are.”

Deanna Troi, Star Trek: The Next Generation

Deanna Troi is another character I didn’t care for straight away. The writers made her seem so frail at the beginning of the show, and she didn’t have as much of a presence in comparison to everyone else. However, she developed into an intelligent, capable, and loving crew member of the Enterprise.

Jane Villanueva, Jane the Virgin  

I just love the fact that Jane is a writer. I love the relationships she forms with new people and the ones she has with her mother and grandmother. I love her humor, and I love her attitude. I’m having a hard time thinking of what I don’t love about this Latina queen.

I love discovering new women on television, but I also love coming back to the classics.

Jessica Garrison is a professional writing major and women's, gender, and sexuality studies minor at Kutztown University.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur