Five Of My Favorite Female Characters: Film Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Social distancing has led me to watching a large amount of movies, and my favorite aspect of storytelling is the characters involved. Although it was difficult to narrow down, in no particular order, I’ve listed some of my favorite female movie characters along with the trailers to their equally wonderful films. 

Christine “Lady Bird” McPherson, “Lady Bird”

Lady Bird is a truly beautiful film written and directed by Greta Gerwig, and I’d say it’s one of my favorites. I always tell people that it’s a love story between a mother and daughter, who are so different yet so similar at the same time. Lady Bird is passionate, outspoken, and dedicated to living life to the fullest.

Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow, Marvel Cinematic Universe

Any Marvel fan knows of Natasha Romanoff, who is thankfully getting her own movie soon. I love Natasha for her character development and the love she feels for her self-made family.

Diana Prince/Wonder Woman, “Wonder Woman”

I admire Diana’s beauty, both inside and out. A goddess from Themyscira, she believes in love and forgiveness and will always fight for justice.

Elle Woods, “Legally Blonde”

I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say that Elle Woods is one of the earliest characters I looked up to. We all aspire to be the kind of person Elle is after Warner tells her she isn’t smart enough for him.

Fa Mulan, “Mulan”

Mulan is my favorite Disney movie, and rightfully so. My favorite scene from the movie is when she cuts her hair with a sword in order to take her father’s place in the army. I could never.

I love to see strong women on the big screen, though it seems that there are limited options when choosing a movie to watch, especially when it comes to minorities. However, the future is looking up, and I hope to see more of these powerful role models represented in cinema, as well as everyday life.

Jessica Garrison is a professional writing major and women's, gender, and sexuality studies minor at Kutztown University.