Five Budget-Friendly Christmas Gift Basket Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

The Christmas season is fast approaching, and with it, the annual struggle of what gifts to buy. One of my favorite gifts to give is a gift basket! I love mixing and matching a few items, that way, even if I miss the mark on something, the gift recipient is sure to find something they like.

One of the biggest (and only) drawbacks to giving a gift basket is the cost. A basket full of gifts can get pricey, but there are ways to do it on a budget.

I always recommend checking the thrift store for baskets. Many sell baskets for around $2. No need to splurge on a basket when people only care about what’s inside anyway!

Below are five themed gift baskets to stay on budget.

Christmas Cookie Kit

• Cookie dough mix
    • Betty Crocker and Pillsbury have cookie dough mixes that range from $1.50 to $2, and are widely available at grocery and convenience stores.
  • Frosting
    • Again, many companies have premade frosting available for purchase for around $2. Christmas editions typically come with festive sprinkles, but you can also buy sprinkles separately.
  • Sprinkles
    • Many grocery stores carry holiday-themed sprinkles for between $3 to $5.
  • Cookie Cutters
  • Basket or alternative
    • Like I mentioned earlier, baskets are cheap at thrift stores if you’re trying to stay in budget. If you’re looking for a themed alternative, a mixing bowl will fit the bill. New mixing bowls are anywhere between $10-20, so they will up the price. Target carries a plastic mixing bowl set that comes with a whisk and a spatula, for $10, but there are surely deals elsewhere too.his gift would be cute in a gift box or bag!

Hot Chocolate Kit

• Hot chocolate
    • I’ve seen single-packs of hot chocolate for about $1, or 8-packs for just under $3. Not a fan of hot chocolate? Tea bags and coffee grounds/pods work equally well.
  • Sprinkles
  • Stroopwafel
    • Stroopwafels are the perfect accompaniment to a hot drink! If you’ve never had a stroopwafel, they’re caramelly waffle cookies that are the perfect size to put on top of a mug. The steam from the drink warms up the caramel and turns it into the perfect chewy snack.
  • Candy canes
  • Mug
    • Again, many thrift stores have mugs for $1to $2. If you’d prefer something new, Target carries many options for $5 mugs.

Cozy Movie Night Basket

• Socks
    • There are many options for cozy socks, typically ranging from $1 to $5.
  • PJ pants
    •  Old Navy has festive PJ pants that frequently go on sale for $12 or less during the holiday season. Just keep an eye out!
  • Popcorn
  • Other snacks
    • Candy, chocolate, chips, cookies . . . any good movie snacks! A soda or special drink would be nice to top off the “movie theater” effect.
  • A popcorn bucket could make a fun movie alternative. Dollar Tree stores typically carry plastic popcorn buckets for $1.25.

Book Night Basket

• Candle
    • Target sells mini candles for $5. 
  • Book
    • Books are probably one of the more expensive gifts on this list. Check out thrift stores or ThriftBooks for good deals on used books. As far as new books, the only advice I can offer is to keep an eye out for sales at Barnes and Noble and Amazon. 
  • Bookmark
    • Bookmarks are usually $1 to $5 depending on the style and brand. Or you can make your own bookmark to add another personal touch!
  • Tea

This is probably the priciest basket of the post, but it can be done on a budget. Check sales, and once again, check the thrift stores. I’ve found brand new candles and books at the thrift stores for fractions of their retail prices.

Thrift Basket

If you and your friends love thrifting as much as me and my friends do, thrift baskets make the perfect gift! Peruse the stores until you find something that makes you think of your friend. I’ve seen people thrift an outfit for their friend, but you could really do anything!

Happy holidays everyone!

Kara Armstrong

Kutztown '25

Kara is a student at Kutztown University majoring in Professional Writing and minoring in Spanish. She likes thrifting, pickles, and the color yellow.