First Thoughts: Jumanji: The Next Level

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

During the quarantine, I finally got a chance to watch the movie Jumanji: The Next Level. This is the sequel to Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. This movie stars Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Kevin Hart, Karen Gillian, Jack Black, and Nick Jonas. I think these movies are absolutely funny, and I highly recommend watching them. 

Jumanji is based on a board game from the original Jumanji with Robin Williams. After the actors pick their characters, they are sucked into the video game and become the characters they choose. In the game, they must save Jumanji by completing dangerous tasks. 

In the second movie of the rebooted series, the character Spencer Gilpen is having personal issues and decides to gain strength by going back to Jumanji. His friends Fridge, Martha, and Bethany are concerned, so they head to his house to find his Grandpa, played by Danny DeVito, after his hip surgery. His friends noticed that the game was fixed, and he went back in. They then decide to go back into the game to save Spencer. 

However, not only are the friends sucked into the game, but Spencer’s grandfather and his friend Milo have joined the game. This time, no one got to pick their characters and were randomly assigned. I would go further into the movie’s plot, but I do not want to give any spoilers. If you are looking for something to watch while being stuck inside, I would watch the new Jumanji.

I am an artist who uses art to express myself. My life quote is “stay positive”. My goal is to make a positive influence in people’s lives.