This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Since I’ve started writing for Her Campus I have been writing about Indigenous peoples and their history as well as their present. To me, this topic is so important and I want people to know the truth about who they are and how they have been constantly been pushed around and forgotten about. I plan to continue to write about this because there’s so much to say about the Indigenous people that some don’t know still exist in our world. It’s only fair they have their voices heard. Other minorities have had their time to have their voices heard about issues they face, but Natives have not had an equal opportunity like the other minorities because other minorities are still going through the battle too. Through Her Campus I know my voice is being heard and I want to use my voice to tell others about Indigenous peoples and the trouble they are still facing today.

By writing with Her Campus I am able to put out there to the public what I find important and know that someone out there is reading what I have to say. I post my articles to my Facebook page so those who are close to me can read what I have to say. I know that some of the things I write about are sensitive and some people might not agree with what I have to say, but I still encourage everyone to read my take on Indigenous issues because I’m open minded to a lot of things. Learning about Natives was something I never would have knew about until my class this semester. We live in a world today where you need to have an open mind to get by day by day or you will just be living in your own little bubble for your whole life.

Her Campus has given me a place to voice what I care about without judgment. I can write about Indigenous people without being criticized for caring about this important issue. I plan to also use Her Campus to do an independent study about Indigenous peoples for one of my minors which I’m excited about because I get to continue to write about what I care for and what I want more people to be aware of. I hope more people read my articles and become educated on all I have to say because Natives are still here and will always be here, they never left this land we call ours.

While being a member of Kutztown University’s Her Campus, I was the Vice President and lead editor. Her Campus afforded me many opportunities to voice my thoughts and opinions freely, and let them be heard by anyone reading. I found Her Campus to be a great tool in helping me advance my future in writing and editing.