This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Every year for the holidays we have fun, family filled traditions that I look forward to. I come from a family of five so they tend to change from time to time because some of my siblings live at various locations. I have two siblings who live in California, one in Maryland, and one in Selinsgrove, PA. During Thanksgiving I do not see all of my brothers and sisters but they always give me a call. 

Growing up, we would watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade on T.V. and eat breakfast pastries while my parents got the turkey in the oven. We would have dinner early, we would have dinner at four o’clock in the afternoon. Our dinner usually consists of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, crescents, cooked veggies, and cranberries. My favorite tradition would be going around the table and asking everyone at the table what exactly we were thankful for.  After dinner we would wait around for a little bit until dessert, and  sometimes for dessert we would have even more family over. Dessert included pies, brownies, coffee, and tea. 

Christmas is when I get to see all my siblings. Unfortunately, due to COVID I won’t be seeing all my siblings this Christmas. However, we are gonna make the best of what we have and enjoy. My family is a big fan of the Muppets. Nevertheless, we usually watch all their Christmas movies and sometimes their non christmas movies. Movies include “Muppet Christmas Carol,” “A very very Muppet Christmas Movie”, and “Muppet Family Christmas”. The past couple we like to “watch”, meaning not exactly pay attention to, is the Hallmark Christmas Movies. 

Christmas morning my Dad likes to put on the yeulog while everyone is waking up. When I was a kid, I had first heard the song, “Dominic the Donkey”. With me being a kid I thought it was the most amazing song ever. I used to sing that song every year to wake my siblings up for Christmas. They did not like it of course but it was hilarious to me. They got back at me many years later when I was not awake one christmas. They banged their pots and pans and started singing “Dominic.” I definitely deserved that.

I am an artist who uses art to express myself. My life quote is “stay positive”. My goal is to make a positive influence in people’s lives.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur