Anna Schultz-Girl Looking Up In Forest
Anna Schultz-Girl Looking Up In Forest
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Don’t Ignore The Powerful Forces of Nature

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Nature surrounds our everyday lives, starting with the birds that sing their morning songs as soon as we wake up. Nature makes us realize there is a promise of a new day; it provides tranquility, beauty, and rejuvenation. As people, we make associations that relate to our own personal experiences and feelings. Waking up in the morning may lead to one immediately thinking of birds chirping, which then elicits a sense of euphoria. While nature is certainly an aspect of life that can be appreciated, there is more happening behind the scenes that humanity is unaware of. As someone who is an avid animal lover, I began to fall head over heels with watching nature documentaries. It is incomprehensible that each decision we make affects natural habitats catastrophically. This has to do with the creatures’ innate abilities to adequately survive under varying conditions. Our planet is intricately connected to each and every living being, and every living being has a significant contribution to keep the earth healthy. A nature documentary that I’ve been binging lately is Our Planet, which can be found on Netflix. Each episode features different parts of the world, from terrains like rocky mountains to the depths of the oceans. It is amazing to me that there are species containing subspecies and that they have to adapt effectively to their climate and possible harsh elements. Being able to watch nature in fine detail helps us understand not only the ways in which they utilize resources to survive, but their strength in overcoming detrimental periods. Each choice we make has a consequence, and those choices have affected animals deeply. We have the potential to reverse the damage that’s been done and become fully aware of what is around us.

Catherine Gibson is a psychology major and music minor at Kutztown University. Her original pursuit of working in a therapeutic setting in the hopes of helping others has shifted to becoming an elementary school teacher so she can establish a strong impact in their lives. Aside from her career aspirations, Catherine is very fond of and heavily involved with music as she plays the cello, piano, and sings. She is also a creative writer who enjoys songwriting and poetry.