mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

February 14—just 45 days into the year—marked the thirtieth mass shooting in the United States in 2018.  It was the seventeenth school shooting of the year, and the deadliest since Sandy Hook. 

As with all mass shootings, I am immensely saddened.  My heart aches for the victims and their families and friends.  And again, like all mass shootings, our national leaders have sent their “thoughts and prayers” to the victims of Wednesday’s attack. 

While it’s a nice sentiment, it’s no longer good enough.

Thoughts and prayers do nothing—mean nothing.  Thoughts and prayers will not bring back the countless lives already lost to mass shootings this year and every year before that.  Thoughts and prayers will not manifest societal change.  They will not end gun violence.  They will not stop the American people from being maliciously murdered at accelerating rates.

If our lawmakers believe the rise in mass gun violence is a mental health issue instead of a gun issue, fine.  I, too, believe the two have a correlation.  But if that is what they believe the true problem is, then why are we not funding more organizations to help raise awareness surrounding mental illness or helping people with mental illnesses?  Why are we still clutching to our guns and the outdated Second Amendment when people are forced to clutch the bloodied bodies of their loved ones who lost their lives at the hands of mentally ill gun-wielders?  Why do we continue to allow such easy access to obtaining guns when they continue to cause destruction every day? Why do we continue to pretend this is not a problem?

When are we going to make a change?  When are we going to finally stand up and say enough is enough?  When are we going to acknowledge how serious this epidemic is?  When will we set aside our political differences and open our eyes to what is best for the safety of all Americans?

We cannot continue treating these occurrences as another statistic.  These are real people.  Teachers.  Parents.  Daughters.  Sons.  Children. 

We cannot continue to wait.  We cannot continue to say, “Now is not the time to talk about guns.”  Now is the only time.  If we continue to tuck these discussions away for a more “opportune” time, the conversation will never be had.

We do not have the time, nor the luxury, to wait any longer.  Not when parents consider hearing their child’s voice one last time a luxury rather than a right.

It’s time we use our voices to advocate for those who no longer have theirs. 

Visit www.everytown.org to learn more about what you can do to help minimize gun violence.

Hi! I'm a sophomore Communication Studies major at Kutztown University. Writing has been my passion ever since my first grade teacher praised me for a poem I wrote about a shoo fly pie-loving fly named Guy. (Not Fieri.)