Dealing With Missing Your Dog When You Are Away At College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

It always breaks my heart whenever I go home to see my happy and lovable German Sheppard, Yoda, and have to leave him after only a short weekend. I always worry if he will forget me and I hate that he can’t understand why I keep leaving him. If I am stressed at school I usually find myself wishing I could snuggle and love him and know he will be right there ready to give me big sloppy kisses and nuzzles right back.  I realized many other people just like me feel this way as well, so I’ve thought of five tips to help us all cope with leaving our furry best friends at home.

1. Be sure to have photos of them on your phone! You can always scroll through and look at their cute little faces and you can show the pictures to all your friends.
  2. Factetime them! You can always have your family put them on Factetime or Skype so that way not only you can see them, but the can also see and hear you.
  3. Pet every animal you see on campus! You will be able to have your puppy filling by petting the other dogs and giving them some love.
  4. Buy them toys at the store! When you are out you can buy them little toys or treats to give them when you do get back to them.
  5. Realize when you get home they will be there! Your dog will still be there loyally waiting for you and ready for a belly rub the second you walk in the door.

Even though leaving them at home is sad, everyone can get through it especially with some coping methods. Yoda Is always so happy to see me when I get home and it is such a great feeling to know that your pet is one of the most dependable relationships you can have with another living thing.  Dogs are amazing, and happy little creatures that just want to make everyone happy and be loved. It’s so hard leaving that type of companion at home, but I hope my advice will help! 

Sabrina Stewart

Kutztown '20

Hi! My name is Sabrina and I am a communication major with a focus in media studies with a minor in a public relations and new media/digital communication here at KU! I am the Events Coordinator for the KU chapter this year! I love fashion, NYC, quotes, book characters, ice cream, exploring, and many many other things. I also tend to drink an excessive amount of lattes.
.