This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Music soaring the charts no longer has substance. Only cliche upon cliche set to lazy beats become mainstream. It is difficult to differentiate artists on the radio because all of their music sounds so much alike. Pop singers with pretty faces (and often, prior fame) are more likely to gain the most popularity. However, prior the 21st century, popular music was vastly different. Although, many musicians looked to others for inspiration in developing their sound, they did not allow for that influence to make them into a carbon copy; popularity was based on originality, and unfortunately, that determinant of popularity is no more.

Our societal change in taste likely has to do with the impracticality now associated with pursuing any kind of artistry. Back during the age of classic rock, college was not considered a necessity. Nowadays, without a degree, it is unlikely for a person to succeed. The correlation between popular music and a degree may not be obvious at first, but what it comes down to is not many people are willing to take on their dream at the cost of financial stability. Few musicians start from the bottom anymore, and those that are bold enough and then lucky enough to make it in the music industry are more likely to settle for making music that sells over quality music.

For instance, a band comparable to the likes of Led Zeppelin such as Greta Van Fleet remains relatively unknown to the masses. Meanwhile, day in and day out, we are losing icons such as David Bowie, Prince, Tom Petty, and Aretha Franklin. People mourn these losses deeply, praising them for their creative geniuses and unique talent. They express despair over the likelihood of ever hearing such a voice again. Yet, perhaps, if a career in music was not so inconceivable and the pathway there did not require one to essentially risk it all, we would learn more about what were missing. Simply, if radio music were to branch out and not be so strict in only playing simple, vipid, “catchy” tracks relentlessly, then maybe audiences could be exposed to the lyrics and instrumentation reminiscent of when music was profound.

Aspiring Journalist | Self-Published Author