This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

As the semester comes to a close, deadlines start to creep up and assignments seem to be get more difficult. Due to this influx of stress it is pertinent that we have a place where we can unwind and relax from the stress of the day. 

With this, you can transform your pad into a place of sanctuary. This is where the stress will subside, where you can just sleep away the fear of finals, and finally put everything into perspective.

The first step can be hard for some, but that’s to keep your space clean. Pick up the clothes you tried on before going out, the dirty laundry spilling out on to the floor, and the papers that have compiled up on the desk. Keeping this space clean might be hard at times but coming home to a put-together room will make anyone feel a little better.

Next is keeping your place organized. Now, cleanliness in some ways does coincide with this, but it is important that one sees putting all the papers in a pile is not organization. Putting things away and in the rightful place will make is much easier when one is in a rush or just wants to find the rubric for their art project.

Lighting is everything. Having the bright fluorescent lights that dorms and even off-campus housing supply are not the kind of vibe most  you are looking for. This light is good for applying make up and possibly to do homework in, but not that kind you to watch Netflix. I recommend some fairy lights; have them hang on the wall next to your bed and see the magic when the sun sets. These light make any room transform from a dorm to a cheap spa. These lights will let you see and do stuff around your room but will still be relaxing when on.

Next might sound a little crazy—and in some ways impossible—but that is to keep work related things out of this space. Now—of course—if you live in a dorm, your desk and bed are in one place and are hard to separate. But rather than doing work in bed, do it at the the desk, a table in the common area, library, and for KU students there are great study places in the SUB.

Lastly is the ambiance. Get candles, but be careful. Candles transform a room. They not only create a magical scent but even more mood lighting. This will accent the room perfectly. But please be sure to blow them out before you leave to go anywhere and before you fall asleep. 

Your pad is not only there for you to sleep but to regroup after a long day. This is your space, and with just a few little changes can become a place where you can’t wait to get home to at the end of the day.

My name is Kaylee Spector and I'm a senior at Kutztown University. I have a passion for reading and writing. As a writer for HerCampus I am able to be a part of keeping up with the current affairs of a college woman. I love traveling, eating and talking most of which I will be writing about. I am a Communications major with a minor in writing, pr, and digital media. All of which I find will help me with my content.