This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Dear People, who use words,

I like puns. I really, really like puns. Some may say it’s a problem, but I don’t think so. I like how a chocolate bar and a jug of milk give each other a handshake and then it’s chocolate milk. I like how you can play with words to create a smile. Little drawings or letters can brighten someone’s day. I recently wrote a letter and I’m sending it through snail-mail. I’m super excited because I know my friend will be happy to get it and I was super happy to write it. I rhymed through the entire thing and it was fun. I may or may not have flipped two sentences when writing it, but that’s need-to-know information. Over the summer at camp we have a secret buddy thing with any staff members that want to participate in it. I LOVE it! We write can notes to each other and leave little gifts in each other cans. Sometimes it’s anonymous and sometimes it’s not. It’s your choice, you’re the writer.

Eventually we had a conversation. I told her that I knew who was giving her the gifts, but that it wasn’t me. I lied. I felt bad for lying, but it was the middle of the summer and I didn’t want anything to change. You see camp is magical, but there are always rollercoasters of emotions. This past summer there were a lot of issues with favoritism, more than I remember from my first summer. I didn’t want to out myself and be treated differently. There were two ways it could go. One: I would be treated better because I made this person feel good or two: I would be treated worse because other staff members would feel as though I disliked them and was being a suck-up. By the end of the summer my secret wasn’t a secret except for the person who I was giving little pick me ups to. My favorite part is that I was always able to sign the cards from the wood fairy. It’s nice to be a part of something magical.

It’s nice to know that words can make a difference. It’s just dependent on what kind of difference the writer wants to make. I hope my words will always create a positive impact. I know that I can’t always be positive and that means my words won’t always be the best, but it’s not always how the entire day goes or even about the entire letter. It’s about the little things. The small bits of life that create a smile can make that positive impact someone might need. Think about how you can learn from that and think about the good that tomorrow can bring. Words can be a weapon, but more importantly they can be that shoulder a friend needs to lean on.

Love, A Wood Fairy

Jeri Fries

Kutztown '20

Jeri Fries is an Art Education in Alternative Settings Major at Kutztown University. She love dogs, yarn, Gilmore Girls, sarcasm, her family and so many other things in this world! She has always loved to write and is very thankful for this opportunity to share her words.