This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

For those who do not already know, college students can be real douchebags. While talking with my roommate about some of these douchebags, she told me about a little term the DBs like to use: body count. Now, I do not really go out, so I had never heard this term before. I thought I would take the time to look at two of the Urban Dictionary definitions and share my thoughts.

Definition One: “How many people you have slept with.”

In contrary to some of the other definitions, this one does not seem so bad. However, the fact that we are calling people “bodies” is ridiculous. Is it really that hard to acknowledge the person you are having sex with as a human being? It pains me to think that some people have so little respect for others and want to make others feel like they are just another number. My roommate was talking to a guy once who said his body count was 11 and she could be 12. For some reason, people think this is flattering when, in reality, this is the most demeaning “pick up line” I have ever heard in my life.

Definition Two: “The rating of how big of a hoe someone is.”

It would not be a max level, douchebag word if there was no slut shaming in it. This definition brings it to the table. Apparently, if someone’s body count is too high, then they are automatically a slut. The example under this definition specifically calls out a woman because, God forbid, a woman has slept with more than one man. The example calls this woman a “big ass hoe.”

It is sickening to me that so many people use this term daily. I can understand if someone would like to know how many people their sex partner has been with if they are asking for health reasons. The problem comes when people start using terms like “body count” to describe and brag about their sex history. Having sex is a great part of being human, and we need to respect and appreciate those who engage in sex with us. Next time you hear someone use “body count,” call them out and tell them how horrible of a person they are being. We could end douchebag culture, one d-bag at a time.

Katie N

Kutztown

Hi, I'm Katie! I am a communication studies major here at KU. I enjoy writing about anything that has to do with feminism or random events that happen on campus.