This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

I am currently an Education Major at Kutztown University. This semester, as a part of my coursework, I was placed in a public middle school in Allentown PA. Coming from the small town that I grew up in, I was nervous to be placed in a urban setting. I knew about Allentown students and all the stereotypes that follow the people that live there. I was prepared for the worst, but what I got in return was the best.

The students that I have been working with have blessed me with so much and they have no idea. I had a moment the one day, I almost had to step out of class because I was so overwhelmed with content, happiness, and reassurance. I was able to help a certain group of students get ahead of what they were behind on, and then shortly after that I explained the importance of professional language, but not losing respect for your cultures dialect to another student. I knew I was in the right place, doing the right thing. All the struggles of college were confirmed to be worth it; I was reassured that being an educator was my path, and what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Being able to build a relationship with some of the students and hear about the struggles they have gone through, or even just to learn about them; they are not the stereotypes that we hear of, they are students that need help.

It may seems silly. You may be wondering, “Okay? You helped students catch up, what’s the big deal?”, the big deal to me is as simple as that, I helped them. I think that is the root of every teacher’s motivation to become an educator; you want to help students. Even though my help may be small and overlooked, you never know what could make a difference in a students’ life. One little conversation that you have with them may seem like nothing, but could stick with them forever. Also the students recognizing that you are a resource of help, and that they do not have to solely rely on their main teacher is refreshing.

So to all my future educators: I know the road may be tough, but once you are able to experience this feeling, it will help you get through anything and everything. Do NOT ever be nervous to get placed in a setting that you have not experienced before, because most blessings are disguised. I am so happy to be there, and most of the students think I am there to help them learn, when in reality they are helping me learn and grow.

Katie Frasch

Kutztown '20

Educational advocate, animal lover, feminist, and a proud aunt of three. Family and friends make life, and all battles possible .