This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Here’s to all those big kids that are moving out and growing up. 

There you are again, laying on the couch a slice of pizza hanging from your mouth casually scrolling through Instagram. Each picture displaying a new post of a friend’s engagement ring, wedding, or ultra sound. You pull up your group chat sending the screen shots of those pictures and typing, “omg another one. When did we grow up”?

Being in your twenties is strange like that. Some friends are away at college, some are starting their career, some are married, others are engaged and then there are those who are buying houses and starting a family. Yet, there you are with no boyfriend in an empty tiny apartment still dressed in yesterdays clothes, a sink full of dirty dishes and move in boxes that are still unpacked. Your coffee table is covered in bills reminding you that you’re on your own. 

You wonder what you are doing wrong. You thought that by now you’d have your life all figured out. Instead you’re running around this town like you’re something and pretending you know everything. Each week bringing you more break downs and broken hearts. You have absolutely no idea what you’re doing or where you are in life. You may think all your friends are successful and that they have it all figured out but just because they do does not mean you have too.

We all grow up at our own pace. We each have a different path we take in this thing called life and adulting. We each are successful in own way. You may not have a house, but you were able to move out of your childhood home and rent an apartment. So, you don’t have a diamond on that left hand or a boyfriend, but it’s okay because your time will come. Don’t rush love because everyone else has someone. Wait for that perfect guy that will sweep you off your feet. Besides, you still have friends that are still in the same situation as you. So, don’t worry about love, go out to the bar with your friends and share each other’s stories and memories. Truth is, where you are now being just right where you are supposed to be. You are growing up at your own pace.

It’s funny thinking about it now. It seems like it was just yesterday you were a little girl who was walking around in her momma’s heels playing dress up with your dolls. You think about those Christmas mornings of running down the stairs in your footie pajamas tearing through red and green wrapping paper. Think about the days of eating lunch with your friends talking about prom dresses and who was dating who. You had no worries back then because everything seemed so simple.

So, here’s to all those big kids. The ones getting married, the one with the diamond rings, the ones breaking down or with broken hearts. To all the big kids that are now starting a family and buying their first house. To all the big kids moving out and going to college. To the ones that are going out to the bars and living their life with their friends or the ones who are just sitting at home. You are right where you should be.

May 5, 1995  Junior at Kutztown University Professional Writing Major Public Relations Minor Here are my favorite things  Fashion Sunflowers Horses and Dogs Love Handwritten Letters Coffee Thanksgiving  Cities Beaches Museums Vogue Magazine Black and White Flims The Colors Pink and Yellow