The Best Way to Stay Organized During College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

I am new to HerCampus and learning how to add something else to my already hectic life has caused me to re-organize my schedule. Being a duel major and working is crazy enough, why not add another. The best advice I can give to people that need a little help staying organized is invest in a good planner.

Here is the secret to planners, use them! I am joking but also very serious. Getting in the habit of using a planner has saved my life. Write everything in them and I mean everything; if the event is going to take time out of your day, jot it down. In my planner you can find anything from doctor’s appointments, to due dates for assignments, my work schedule, important dates/events for school, and the best day ever, payday. That is only the monthly part of the planner. In the weekly part I block out times to complete assignments in comparative to my class schedule and my work schedule.

Next tip is to highlight and color code within your planner. For example, in the monthly section of my planner assignments are highlighted yellow, work related items are highlighted blue, and events for school and/or group events are highlighted green. Doctors meetings, or any kind of meetings are written in red pen. Paydays are circled in blue pen, and other important items are written with blue pen. Color coded is especially helpful if you are visual learner.

Also with all of these events being jotted down, days and times are bound to change. Buy white out tape. This will be a lifesaver and help with the organization of your planner; it will prevent having a bunch of crossed out items taking up space. Along with the white out, I use a binder clip to bookmark which month we’re in; all of the previous months are clipped together in that binder clip. I also use a paper clip to bookmark which week we are, clipping together all the weeks that have passed within that month.

Although this sounds like a lot to keep track of, once you get into the habit of organizing a planner, and you find out what works for you it will be so helpful. Ever since I picked up this habit, my grades have gone up and I usually feel less overwhelmed. It gives you a sense of control and I highly suggest that every college student invest time into their planner.

Katie Frasch

Kutztown '20

Educational advocate, animal lover, feminist, and a proud aunt of three. Family and friends make life, and all battles possible .