The Best and Worst in 2020 Horror Part 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

I recently did a list of 5 of the best and worst horror movies slated for a 2020 release, ranked from ‘movie I think will suck the most’ to ‘movie that is going to be absolutely amazing’.  After it was published, I realized there were more movies I wanted to cover, so in the words of ABBA, “here we go again!”

The Invisibleman

The Basics: This film, based on the same titled book written by H.G. Wells, is directed by and is set for release on 28th of February. The films stars Kate Moss as Cecilia Kaas who is haunted by her abusive ex-boyfriend who didn’t really die.

What I’m Excited For: Kate Moss’ performance, other than that the inevitable media backlash to the film, and the memes that will generate. Also the inivitable claims that this is more of a “Hollow Man” remake than a true adaptation of H.G. Well’s book- because that discussion could be a lot of fun.

What Could Go Wrong: I don’t think this will be as controversial as Joker, but I do think it’ll be less entertaining, and not as well written. On premise alone I doubt this film has any actual worth or merit. Most of the trailers focus in on the horror Cecilia faces in the realization that her abuser is not as dead and gone as expected. Itseems more like abuse/tture porn where the entire film we get to watch a woman be violently abused, disbelevied, only for a split-second twist at the end where she triumphs- in my opinion ten minutes of a woman killer her abuser/attacker doesn’t warrent the rest of the runtime. This has all of the working parts to be an oddly feminist revenge story but doesn’t use them and I think that will be its downfall.

Will I Be Seeing It: Hell no! It’s 2020, I think we can write scary movies outside of “woman is abused” there’s a lot of shit, as a woman, that scares me. Like the depths of the ocean or unending student debt- all that might make a better movie than this tired abuse/revenge plot. Besides if I wanted to watch a movie that prominently features domestic abuse/trauma I’d just watch a Tarentino film. At least those have style.

Brahams: The Boy 2

The Basics: The possibly anticipated sequel to the 2016 scary doll movie, “The Boy”, is slated for release on February 21st and someone, somewhere, is probably excited about that. This new film follows a suburban family who move their troubled son from the city into the estate from the first movie.

What I’m Excited For: I think, much like some of the cheesier moments from the original film, there could be some value with this as an accidental horror comedy. I’m also excited for the slasher aspect as there hasn’t been a successful new slasher movie in ages and although the original film wasn’t amazing I’ll take what I can get.

What Could Go Wrong: I appreciate what the original movie attempted to do by creating a masked, and absurd psycho-killer. Unfortunately with the same director and writer as the first film I’m not particularly hopeful for anything more interesting that a few inventive kills. When this film was announced there were rumors it would be released on Netflix, which is this generation’s version of a cheap direct to video sequel. Now it seems like a full theatrical release will be happening after all the delays and rewrites/reshoots but will that be enough to take a ‘meh’ movie and make it good? Also, we know from the last movie that the doll isn’t actually haunted but is a placeholder for greasy-wall-man, yet in the trailer they’ve given the doll an almost possessed character letting it move its eyes at will and at one point distort into some spooky demon thing. I hope there’s an explanation for this change, one that makes sense given the fact that the entire point and twist of the first film was that the doll, wasn’t haunted. If not- this new movie took the only subversive and interesting part of the original film and destroyed it.

Will I Be Seeing It: I’m assuming much like the first film this will wind up on Netflix so I’ll probably end up watching it at some point, but- would I pay $10 plus movie snacks to see it? Absolutely not. 

A Quiet Place: Part II

The Basics: Set to premier on March 20th, this film is expected to be a hit. John Krasinski returns as both director and writer, with Emily Blunt, Noah Jupe, and Milicent Simmonds all returning as the Abbott family.

What I’m Excited For: Seeing how the family continues to navigate a world within limited sound, and if Regan’s deafness will continue to feature as important within the story.

What Could Go Wrong: I was surprised when the sequel was announced as it felt like the story was wrapped up well and didn’t warrant continuation. I had no desire to see the rest of the world within this universe, and I don’t think it will be particularly interesting. It also seems like the entire ‘quiet’ dynamic isn’t as important when dealing with other survivors and that was what made the original film so distinctive and innovative. Without that, what’s the point?  

Will I Be Seeing It: Yeah- I’ll rent this from RedBox or catch it on Netflix, but I won’t be paying to see this in theaters.

Candyman Remake

The Basics: This “spiritual sequel” from Jordan Peele is expected for an early June release and takes the audience back to the original Chicago neighborhood, now gentrified but not entirely changed. There are no cureent promotional images or trailers released yet.

What I’m Excited For: The original film terrified me, and is one of my favorite horror movies ever. Given Peele’s masterful writing within the horror genre I am excited for every part of this movie, and expect only great  things.

What Could Go Wrong: With this movie I’m worried people will expect a very similar film to the 1992 film, where our societal landscape has changed drastically since then which will have to feature within the film given Candyman’s backstory. I think whatever direction this movie goes in will be great but I can see other people feeling some type of way about it.

Will I Be Seeing It: Yes- I will literally go see anything with Jordan Peele’s name attached to it. 

Antebellum

The Basics: Starring Janelle Monáe, Antebellum will release in theaters on April 24th. The film follows Monáe’s character Veronica as she navigates what looks to be a reality torn between the antebellum period and modern day.

What I’m Excited For: Janelle Monáe, mostly! I think their career as a musician and actor is really good and I think this film will reflect that. I’m also interested to see how the narrative deals with modern ideas of the antebellum period given current racial tension within modern society and politics.

What Could Go Wrong:  I think this film has a lot to fight through as a movie lead by a woman of color, and I worry that the powers that be within Hollywood and American society will keep this movie from succeeding due to the race and gender of the protagonist. 

Will I Be Seeing It: Yes, I think this is a must see.

Jenna Boyer

Kutztown '20

Writer, Advocate, Tattoo Enthusiast, Occasional Actor, Full-Time Nerd.