The Best and Worst in 2020 Horror Part 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

I’m not known for being overly optimistic, especially when it comes to films or music. I tend to error on the side of caution because in a creative landscape filled with reshoots, and overpopulated with remixes, sequels, and remakes there’s a lot of room for things to go wrong. So, here are 5 horror movies slated for a 2020 release: ranked from “movie I think will suck the most/has the highest potential for faliure” to “movie that is going to be absolutely amazing/has the highest potential for sucess”.

The Turning

The Basics: This film based on Henry James’ The Turn of the Screw is directed by Floria Sigismondi and set to release on January 24th. The film stars Mackenzie Davis as Kate (A governess), Finn Wolffhard and Brooklynn Prince as Miles and Flora (her two charges). 

What I’m Excited For: The Turn of the Screw, is one of my favorite horror stories ever. It was the first book in my adult life to genuinely scare me despite other contemporary warnings that its an over hyped snoozefest. The title refers to how the story itself is a slow-burn terror (rather than horror) it’s literally as slow as a screw being turned manually and I think that’s where film succeeds for this story. The 1961 adaptation The Innocents is one of my most recommended horror classics for that reason, and with today’s higher movie budgets this film could be amazing!

What Could Go Wrong:  For starters, the January release date is troubling. In the film industry movies suspected to flop are typically released in January. Although the cast seems promising, knowing the source material the way I do I suspect that the modernization of the adaptation could potentially ruin the entire story. Without being a period piece there is no reason for a logical, adult woman to remain in this job or not call for help when she starts to suspect that the children are being corrupted by ghosts. Also, I don’t think our society is as terrified by the idea of Satan corrupting souls via ghosts as audiences were in 1961 with the first film, or in 1898 when the book was released.

Will I Be Seeing It: Yes, and as of this being published, I have!

The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It 

The Basics: With an expected release date of September 2020, this next installment of the Conjuring universe brings back producer James Wan, along with Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wiilson as the Warren’s. In another adaptation of the Warren’s case files, this third installment covers the infamous criminal defense “the devil made me do it” amid a supernatural horror story.

What I’m Excited For: The first Conjuring film was my favorite movie for a long time. I was a teen when it came out in 2013 and the fact that it took such a traditional sort of horror story, one from a real life situation, really worked for me. Historically, the plot of this film centers around a real life court case where the defense given was “the devil made me do it” and I’m excited to see how that plays into the story.

What Could Go Wrong: This movie will be the 8th installment of the overarching Conjuring Universe, and so many of the other movies were absolutely horrible. I would not recommend any of the Annabelle movies, nor the utter travesty that was La Llorona. Speaking of which, Michael Chaves directed La Llorona and is now directing this- so I don’t have a lot of hope. Maybe this will be the one to put me off the franchise.

Will I Be Seeing It: Yes, because I too am a slave to nostalgia. 

The New Mutants

The Basics: The first horror movie connected to Marvel, The New Mutants is set for a theatrical release on April 3rd. The film follows a group of mutants who were experimented on against their will, and attempt to escape. 

What I’m Excited For: I’m a long time X-Men fan and I think the darker tone and horror elements will fit well and result in an interesting movie. Unlike some of the other entries on this list, I have little to say about this film because I’m intentionally trying to go into it blind. I’m that excited about it. 

What Could Go Wrong: I worry that the tone might end up all over the place. We’ve seen a less serious X-Men movie that featured experiments against unwilling mutants, and that was successful and entertaining but the added horror elements might complicate and detract from what should be an interesting story, especially if by ‘horror’ they mean ‘jumpscares’.

Will I Be Seeing It: Yes, I’d like to see it at some point.

Halloween Kills

The Basics: Jamie Lee Curtis returns as Laurie Strode in the follow-up to 2018’s Halloween reboot. It’s expected to be released on October 16th. No information about the plot has been released except for the fact that the next film after, Halloween Ends is confirmed for the following year.

What I’m Excited For: Despite it’s rank at no.4, this is the movie I’m most excited for. I love the original Halloween, and I felt like the 2018 film was a perfect sequel that did a lot of great work for the advancement of Laurie’s character. Even without a plot synopsis I’m thrilled to see where this goes.

What Could Go Wrong: Even though I am excited this movie does have the risk of being the most disappointing. Partially because of my emotional attachment, but mostly because I think the successful reboot could be a fluke. Most revived franchises survive off of pure nostalgia and cult status, so to have an actual good film is really rare. A large part of me doesn’t think it will happen again.

Will I Be Seeing It: Yes, and I’d like to go opening night- even if it sucks.

Antlers

The Basics: This new film produced by Guillermo Del Toro is slated for release on April 17th. The film follows a young boy who has befriended a strange creature, with dangerous consequences.

What I’m Excited For: Although it doesn’t use the word ‘wendigo’ in any of the promotional materials, tag-lines, or synopsis, it appears this is the creature. The wendigo is an indegenous figure that, at least in pop-culture, exists as a punishment for cannibalism (such as the film Ravenous, the video game Until Dawn, and references in NBC’s Hannibal). I’m excited to see Guillermo Del Toro’s take on this given his history of practicle effects monsters.

What Could Go Wrong: The film industry has never struggled with depicting demons or evil spirits, much to the horror of devout believers, and although this is not part of a western religion it is part of idengenous beliefs. Part of those beliefs is that such things should be talked about or represented in media, or even in conversation. Although the production company probably felt this was an interesting piece of folklore to include, it’s a little icky to put this out there as if that didn’t matter. 

Will I Be Seeing It: Yes, because there’s nothing I enjoy more than implied cannibalism and/or Guillermo Del Toro films.

Jenna Boyer

Kutztown '20

Writer, Advocate, Tattoo Enthusiast, Occasional Actor, Full-Time Nerd.