Urban Watercolor World Map Canvas Print by Michael Tompsettjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Urban Watercolor World Map Canvas Print by Michael Tompsettjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Beauty of My Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

As Hispanic Heritage Month wraps up this Thursday, I reflect on the beauty of my Hispanic community. Like most minority groups, we’ve gone through challenges but managed to become united to overcome them. Growing up, I was surrounded by diversity everywhere I went. This made me aware of various cultures at a young age. It wasn’t until I moved to Reading, PA in 2013 that I became part of a large Hispanic community. This community helped me embrace my Hispanic Identity even more. At age 13, I was influenced by the pride many of my classmates shared when it came to their own culture. 

It was a huge change to go from a majority back to a minority when moving to KU. It was something my high school principal had prepared all of us for. I distinctly remember that morning assembly that was filled with excitement as we all prepared for graduation day back in 2018. My principal joked around and gave us advice but as it was time to wrap up, his tone shifted. He pointed out how we’ve all been part of a community that is close and we haven’t had to experience negative comments from outsiders, but that could all change when we leave Reading. We all knew it wasn’t going to be the same once we left our high school, the outside world was different from what we had known and grown accustomed to. I thank my principal for that speech. 

I’ve never rejected my Hispanic identity but there were plenty of times that I felt disconnected from it, especially when I moved away for college. I didn’t hide my identity since that was clearly impossible to do at KU, but I also felt a longing for the times in high school where I would encounter many people speaking Spanish and see more diverse faces when walking around the streets of my community. I missed the delicious aromas you could smell when walking past houses that had their doors wide open with Spanish music blasting. 

Spending time away has given me a new appreciation for my community. We embrace each other when going through difficult times. We stand together, united to face straight-on the injustices we face. We will continue to contribute to this country that can, at times, turn against us. Happy Hispanic Heritage Month mis hermanos y hermanas, let us continue to show what we are capable of.

Professional Writing Major, Social Media Theory & Strategy and Public Relations Minor with a love for books and music.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur