This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

This semester, I did something new with art that I have always found neat. I have seen this technique in some of my art classes and I always wanted to try it myself. I always thought it was so cool how it was done. This technique is called acrylic pour, it is both fun and interesting to do. 

The technique is when you use a more liquidy acrylic paint, pour the colors into a plastic cup or directly onto your art surface. As an artist I do a lot of abstract work and love to use color. Abstract means you don’t see a specific subject matter in the works, it’s more based on shape, texture, line, and color. I thought this art form would be a great opportunity to create more abstract work. I gave it a try and I made a beautiful, colorful piece. I was going for a representation of sweets and treats. I used colors such as pink, blue, purple, yellow, and orange. 

If you would like to try this out at home. You are going to need a piece of very thick paper or a canvas, a plastic cup,white gesso, liquid based acrylic paint, a towel and a flat surface. First, place a towel you do not mind getting paint over on a flat surface. Next, put your canvas or thick paper ready on the surface. Furthermore, pour some white gesso onto your canvas as the starting point. Then the exciting part, start adding your color choices one by one until you have all your colors in. In addition, move your canvas around so that the colors move to all the corners. Yes, it will be messy but in the end the results are gonna look amazing. Once the paint has gotten around all the canvas, you have to let the paint fully dry before you can hang it up. It may take a day and a half but it is worth the wait. 

If you try this out and love it I am sure you are gonna want to make more than one piece.

I am an artist who uses art to express myself. My life quote is “stay positive”. My goal is to make a positive influence in people’s lives.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur