This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

WEBTOON is a Korean publishing portal that quickly started gaining a following after its global release in 2014. With a format that’s reminiscent of another popular community publishing platform, Wattpad, WEBTOON highlights a web comic/graphic novel style. Each episode, the equivalent of a book chapter, is released on designated days of the week, with readers able to purchase coins in order to unlock previews of unreleased episodes. With thousands of available stories spread amongst 23 genres, it’s easy to become lost trying to locate quality content. So, in no particular order, here are 5 series to get you started:

Lore Olympus-

Debuting in 2018, Rachel Smythe put her own twist on Greek mythology, particularly the romantic connection between Persephone and Hades. Episodes tackle various mature topics like toxic relationships, abuse, and rape carefully and with respect. Most, if not all, of the major and minor characters’ storylines intersect, creating an impressive piece of worldbuilding. The series is currently on its second season, with 149 available free episodes, 4.9 million subscribers, and a 9.7 out of 10 based on reader reviews. If you’re a Percy Jackson fan, I would highly recommend checking out the new uploads every Sunday. In addition, the first 25 episodes are being turned into a printed book coming in October, so be on the lookout for that.

Unholy Blood-

Launching their series in late 2020, Lina Im and Jeonghyeon Kim have created a dynamic duo consisting of a pureblood vampire and a police captain. The pair attempt to track down and destroy the vampire equivalent of the Mafia, facing foes with increasingly powerful abilities. Character complexities are unearthed with every episode, providing both jam-packed action sequences and intriguing mysteries that span the entire series. With 47 current episodes, 1.1 million subscribers, and a 9.9 rating, you get double the content every week, as new episodes are unveiled every Monday and Thursday.

Siren’s Lament-

Concluding in early 2020, both seasons of this series are completely free for binge-readers to speed through. The main protagonist, Lyra, is thrown into a world of sirens and a search for the mysterious Poseidon. Along with gorgeous artwork, a majority of the chapters also include background music that assists in creating a fully immersive experience. With 183 episodes, 3 million subscribers, and a 9.8 rating, both season finales will leave you picking your jaw off the floor.

See You in My 19th Life-

Lee Hey has a bit of an unconventional writing style when it comes to dialogue, as certain sections can be a bit choppy, but the premise and overall storytelling of this narrative is worth a read. The story follows Jieum Ban, a woman who can remember the details of her previous 18 lives. Having died at a young age in her last life, she’s determined to find and reconnect with her love interest, a man scarred by the accident that took her life. There are some interesting ptsd scenes, and the opening chapters are heartbreakingly beautiful. With 23 current episodes, 734 thousand subscribers, and a 9.9 rating, these Thursday uploads will leave you anxious for the next week.

Locker & Opener-

The newest release on this list, having come out on March 5 of this year, there’s not a lot that can be said of the story so far. However, the plot is intriguing, following a Detective Dobin Kim, a man able to “open” people in order to discover information, as he chases his antithesis, Locker. This series has a Killing Eve feel, with an exciting cat-and-mouse chase that I believe will only ramp up over time. With 129 thousand followers and a 9.6 rating, this up-and-coming story definitely deserves more attention when it releases new episodes on Saturdays.

Sianna Swavely is a Cinema, Television, and Media Production major, with minors in Professional Writing and Communication Studies. In her free time, she can be found video editing, playing the piano, or watching Youtube videos while pretending to study.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur