jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Cope With Your Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Many things in life prove to be very stressful whether it be starting a new job, starting college, trying to write that essay you’ve been dreading all week; one thing for sure is that we all get anxious. I know for myself at least a number of things in college regarding my classes make me stress, and I soon start to get anxious. It always starts the samewith that feeling in the pit of your stomach or when you feel like you can’t breathe. I have experienced many of those nights. For anyone who has experienced these same feelings probably has their own way of coping with it, but I would like to share with you 5 ways that I cope with my anxiety.

1. Practice calming breaths

I know that when I start feeling anxious the first thing that starts to happen is labored breaths and my heart rate going up. Then I can tell that I am getting anxious and it makes me more anxious. By practicing this breathing technique you can hopefully start to calm down and focus on what is making you anxious rather than panicking right away.

2. Drink some tea!

I am an avid tea drinker, and I know whenever I feel anxious or stressed about something tea is my best friend. One thing to stay away from is tea that has caffeine in it. Caffeine makes you more alert, and this could possibly make your anxiety worse. The most popular tea to drink for anxiety is Chamomile. Try making some and then get comfortable in bed to help you feel better.

3. Self Care!

One of my favorite tasks to do when I need a pick-me-up is to try a new facemask. They sell many facemasks at Wal-Mart, or you could even try to make your own! Another thing you could do is take a shower. I know sometimes with anxiety it’s hard to even make yourself get out of bed, but I can guarantee a hot shower is always the best solution.

4. Having a clean space!

One of my least favorite things to do is cleaning, and that can be especially true when I’m feeling anxious, but nothing feels better than having some sort of organization. By cleaning your room, or the living room, or even the kitchen it can serve as having some control over something, which could stop you from being so anxious. It can also take your mind off of whatever is actually making you anxious.

5. Realizing you’re not alone

This one can serve as the most important. According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, also known as ADAA, Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in America. So if you start to feel anxious, surround yourself with people who make you happy, whether that be friends, family or even fictional characters from a TV show/movie/book. Do whatever makes you happy or feel better because at the end of day your mental health is the most important.