5 things Veterinary Staff Wish Owners Would Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

1. We are not a charity

Unfortunately, veterinary medicine is not free. You would not expect your health care to be free, so why should it be any different for your animal’s health care? Everyone that works in the building relies on a paycheck, we would not get paid if the services provided were free. Oh, and stop ripping apart the front desk staff for the pricing, they have absolutely no control over the situation.

2. Pet’s cost money

Refer back to number one; and then please consider this before you invest in an animal. Veterinary medicine is not cheap. Before you get an animal make sure you are fully aware of the cost to maintain that animal’s life. They rely on you to take care of them. Call around to local veterinary hospitals and get estimates and prices for basic vaccinations, medication, bloodwork, etc. Figure out the cost of food, grooming, and supplies. Bottom line is BE PEPARED.

3. Pet’s need yearly check ups too.

Those vaccines pets get as puppies or kittens need to be boostered. Also please do not expect to get medication if we have not seen your pet since 2011; you would not expect your doctor to dispense medication without seeing you every year, so again, why would it be different for your pets? Also having your pet checked every year is extremely important to their health, the doctor could potentially find something that a few months down the road would become emergent. Pet’s rely on us to keep them healthy, as an owner, this needed to do so.

4. Stay the hell away from Dr. Google.

Just because you read it on the internet does not mean it is true. Please do NOT diagnose and medicate your animals based off what you found online; this could potentially be very harmful to your pet.

5. We cannot diagnose over the phone.

For the love of god people holding the phone up to Buddy as he coughs is not going to help me or your pet. 1. Usually the person answering the phone is not a doctor, 2. no a doctor cannot speak to they are most likely helping another patient, and 3. That one symptom can be caused by many diseases so please just get your pet examined.

Overall please remember that we are all working in a veterinary hospital for one reason, the animals. We care about your pet, and want what is best for them. The four-legged children make us happy, we are doing everything in our power to keep them happy as well.

Katie Frasch

Kutztown '20

Educational advocate, animal lover, feminist, and a proud aunt of three. Family and friends make life, and all battles possible .