This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

We’re gaining on the end of the year, which means that Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner. Even if you don’t celebrate those holidays, it’s become a tradition to reflect on the events of the year and all of its ups and downs. Specifically with Thanksgiving, we are able to spend time with those we love and talk about all of the things we’re thankful for. Just like everyone else, I’m taking the time to stop and list a few of the many things I am thankful for.  

Family

Although my family is far from perfect, I am thankful for the support and unconditional love I receive from them . I know that not everyone is as privileged as I am when it comes to this aspect of life, so I always remind myself that even though you can’t choose your family, I am very fortunate in what I’ve been given. 

Friends

When things get to be stressful and difficult this time of year, I am thankful for the friends I have to lean on. My friend group may not be the biggest, but those in it are all I could ever need in life. 

School

I understand that not everyone has the opportunity to graduate high school and continue on to college. I may make jokes about dropping out every other week, but I am thankful to attend a school that feels like a second home. 

Food

I am thankful for the fact that if I’m hungry, I can eat until I’m full, and that is something I take for granted everyday. I know on Thanksgiving I will have a full meal in front of me that I probably won’t be able to finish, which is more than what some other people are able to have. 

Housing

When the temperature begins to drop, I realize how thankful I am to have a roof over my head, a warm bed to sleep in, and a heating system. The walls may not be painted the way I want or the closet may not be as big as I want it, but I have walls and a closet. And that’s important to recognize.

I definitely complain more than the average person, but when I stop to think about it, I am thankful for every experience I’ve encountered that has led me to this point in my life. I am eternally grateful for all of the opportunities I’ve had and all the ones yet to come. Happy holidays!

Jessica Garrison is a professional writing major and women's, gender, and sexuality studies minor at Kutztown University.