5 Things I Want To Do In Antarctica (Yes, Antarctica)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

No I have not been to Antarctica, but my friend is going, so I did some research. I wanted to go down to Antarctica to visit him, but I was constantly told there would be nothing for me to do. He was going there for school, so he has things to do, but it’s also a way to convince my family that, if I were to happen to appear in Antarctica while he’s there, I would certainly not be bored.

Kayak with Whales!

I repeat, you can kayak with whales. Now, I already love kayaking, as it’s something my family does together often, but to do it with some whales? That makes it ten times cooler. Whales are amazing creatures and to see them so up close is definitely on my bucket list (and they’re never on those whale watching boat tours that cost a ton of money). Plus, might as well see some glaciers while we still have them! (Yikes, that got dark. Sorry!)

Making Friends with Penguins!

Okay, so making friends might not be the right term. In fact, they recommend about ten meters between you and a penguin, and if one waddles up to you, to stay still so you don’t make them anxious. You are in their home! They are generally unfazed by humans, so there is a good chance they will come right up to you. There are six different amazing kinds of penguins to observe and they’re all awesome. While I would love to cuddle with one, some awesome pictures and memories would have to do.

Sleep Under the Arctic Sky

Okay this one comes with a side note. It’s cold as hell in Antarctica, so maybe sleeping on an icy floor isn’t for everyone. I love the cold, and I feel like getting a good look at the night sky in Antarctica would be worth it. Obviously, there is specific gear that is recommended and you should have an understanding about what temperatures are okay to camp in.

Take a Shot of Homemade Scientist Vodka at the World’s Southern Most Bar

The Faraday Bar at the Vernadsky Research Base is the World’s most southern bar, and some of the scientists nearby distill what I’ve read is really good vodka. The bar does have a weird method of payment, Bras, and while I don’t think I’ll be giving up one of those, I will happily pay for a shot

Take the Literal Polar Plunge

The Polar Bear Plunge is a popular winter activity, but imagine running into the ocean at the south pole. It sounds a little crazy— okay very crazy, but it also sounds like a shit ton of fun.

There are other things to do there like climb mountains or trek to the south pole, and while they sound cool, they’re also really dangerous (so just be aware). Maybe one day I’ll work up the courage (and the money) to go to Antarctica, and when I do, I will have a list of must do activities to accomplish.

Grace Heinlein

Kutztown '23

A music major writes for a blog. That's the joke. You get it?
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur