The Lalalaptop Cup Of Tea
The Lalalaptop Cup Of Tea
Her Campus Media

5 Reasons to Watch ‘Jane the Virgin’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

When this show first came out, I was a little hesitant to watch it. A show about a girl that gets accidentally artificially inseminated? It sounded… odd. But then, I binge-watched the entire first season and I kicked myself for not watching it sooner. Hopefully after you read this, you will be kicking yourself for not watching it.

Jane & Petra—The Friendship

It takes a long, LONG time for these two to become close. But let me tell you, it is so worth it to see where they are by the end of the show. Their relationship started off very rocky seeing as how Jane was pregnant with Petra’s husband’s child. As time went on and they both become mothers, these two women managed to forge a strong bond. They fight for each other instead of against—well, most of the time, anyway. They support and love one another. These two women have truly become sisters.

The Narrator

Honestly, he is one of my favorite things about this entire show. He adds humorous commentary at the correct moments. Not to mention, he foreshadows everything so well! Plus, he helps clear up any storylines or scenes that get a little confusing for the viewer.

The Romance

I’m not a fan of love triangles in storylines. They stress me out and leave me confused about who I should be rooting for. But the love story between Jane, Michael, and Rafael doesn’t make me hyperventilate—at least, not too much. Both of these romances in Jane’s life are beautiful and worthwhile in their own special ways. The dynamics between them are spectacular.

The Drama

“It’s straight out of a telenovela,” as the Narrator would say. This show is packed with so many twists and turns that you would expect it to leave you spinning for answers.  In reality, this show manages to pack in the drama and the tropes in such a way that it is not only easy to follow, but also down right hilarious. It is an American telenovela, after all.

The Villanueva Women

This relationship spans over three generations of Villanueva women. They build each other up and always have each other’s backs. These three women are constantly learning from another and showing the audience that nothing is stronger than family—no matter how crazy it can get.

Now, if my five reasons weren’t enough for you to watch this spectacular show, here are three reasons from Jane herself:

Jane the Virgin might have finished airing on the CW, but you can catch all the seasons on Netflix!