This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Netflix has so many options that it can be difficult to navigate sometimes. Although there’s quite a few Netflix movies I don’t have much interest in, there are some that can turn my whole mood around. In no particular order, here are 5 Netflix original movies that are actually worth watching when you’re stumped on what to turn on next. 

“Murder Mystery” Directed by Kyle Newacheck 

In this crime comedy, a long-married couple finally go on their honeymoon in Europe, which they’ve been putting off for decades. However, their paradise is disrupted when they have to go on the run from foreign police after they are framed for the murder of an elderly billionaire. 

“Someone Great” Directed by Jennifer Kaytin Robinson

This coming-of-age film with a diverse cast showcases three best friends living in New York City. When one of them is in the midst of heartbreak and about to move across the country, they decide to have a final wild night out as a group.

“To The Bone” Directed by Marti Noxon

Lily Collins plays a 20-year-old woman struggling with anorexia. She’s sent to a group home with others who face similar eating struggles and, under the unorthodox care of a physician, finds the courage to accept herself and her body. 

“Dumplin” Directed by Anne Fletcher

A plus-sized teenage girl enters her mother’s beauty pageant to protest the societal expectations of women. She receives the support of her classmates who also don’t follow the typical beauty standards and decide to take action alongside her. 

“Bird Box” Directed by Susanne Bier

This well-known thriller stars Sandra Bullock as Malorie Hayes, a woman seeking sanctuary from a mysterious force that kills whoever looks at it. Accompanied by two small children she must protect, Malorie has to embark on a dangerous journey completely blindfolded. 

Notting Hill gif
Giphy
Netflix is a gold mine with some serious hidden gems, so I still have a lot of watching to do. This obviously isn’t a complete list of all of the great movies Netflix has produced, but they’re just a few to get you started. Happy watching!

Jessica Garrison is a professional writing major and women's, gender, and sexuality studies minor at Kutztown University.