etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Books That Will Get You Ready for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

It’s officially spooky season! If you are anything like me, then Halloween is your favorite holiday. You might even spend the whole year asking “Is it October yet?” But if you need a little kick start into getting in the Halloween spirit, then here is an article to help you do that. I’m going to tell you about some seriously spooky books that’ll leave you screaming for all things terrifying! 

Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

This is a twist on the classic tale of Alice in Wonderland. In this novel, zombies roam the earth as they look for something delicious to sink their teeth into. The truly horrifying part? Not everyone can see them! Alice finds herself with the ability to see these creatures. Along with the utterly dashing Cole and a few other hunters, Alice fights against the undead to protect the living and avenge her family. 

The Devouring by Simon Holt

I haven’t read this book series in a long time, but I remember devouring (ha ha) it when I had the chance. The book follows Reggie as she fights against creatures called Vours. These Vours thrive on the fear of humans and the cold. Reggie suspects that her brother might be under their influence, and she does everything she can to free him. 

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

This series has it all. Demons, werewolves, vampires, warlocks, and faeries are running amok in the streets of New York City. It is up to the nephilim–known as Shadowhunters–to stop them. This series follows Clary Fray as she discovers her family legacy of battling these supernatural creatures. She meets the handsome and enticing Jace Wayland and his fellow shadowhunters, Izzy and Alec Lightwood, and joins their fight to protect the world. 

And, if you love this series, there is a television adaptation. It’s not 100% accurate to the novel, but the show is still a favorite of mine. 

The Summoning by Kelly Armstrong

I loved this story when I first read it. This novel follows a young highschooler name Chloe. Chloe discovers she has the ability to see ghosts, and after a horrific experience in school, she is sent to the Lyle House. Here, she meets other teenagers that have mysterious backgrounds. Together, they must all work together to figure out why they have been placed in Lyle House, and more importantly, how to get out before it’s too late. 

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl 

Ethan Wate is a regular teenage boy from South Carolina. His life was average until Lena Duchannes moved into her uncle’s manor and brought with her a trail of chaos. Together, they share a mystical connection that supersedes time and space. Lena is a Castor and, on her 16th birthday, her magic will either be claimed as light or dark. This novel packs in various mythical creatures and dark twists you won’t expect. 

If you have watched the movie, forgot about that adaptation; it’s got nothing on this novel.