This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Anime is admittedly a niche type of entertainment and not something everyone is into. I myself have only scratched the surface, but most I’ve seen I have enjoyed very much. These shows deserve to be mentioned and viewed for the amazing animation and interesting characters. While the ones I’m listing are some of my favorites, they also can be graphic for some viewers so discretion is advised upon watching.

Demon Slayer

This anime follows a young boy named Tanjiro Kamado in a setting where demons hunt and eat humans. His family is murdered at the very beginning of the show except for his sister, Nezuko, who becomes a demon, but remains docile and doesn’t kill anyone. Tanjiro then becomes a demon slayer, an organization that protects people from demons by killing them, so he can seek revenge on the demons that killed his family and find a way to cure Nezuko. This anime has become a recent favorite, so of course I needed to include it in this list. There’s only one season and a movie out but a second season is anticipating a fall or winter 2021 release.

The Promised Neverland

The Promised Neverland is about children living in an orphanage where things are not as they seem when our protagonists, Emma and Norman, accidentally witness one of their friends from the orphanage get murdered to become food for demons. They make a secret plan to escape with all the children under the watchful eye of their mother/caretaker, who aids in feeding the demons. The second season of this show was just released last month!

Soul Eater

Soul Eater is a slightly older anime compared to the previous two, first released in 2008, but it does not disappoint. With 51 episodes total, it follows a few teams of young students attending a “Death Weapon Meister Academy” where each team has one miester and one weapon that can change into a human. They’re looking to graduate, but villains in the anime have other ideas. It’s definitely a more lighthearted anime, but has its serious moments as well.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

This one I’m a hypocrite on because I still haven’t finished it yet, despite it being totally released for years now. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood follows brothers Edward and Alphonse Elric as they search for the philosopher’s stone as they lost parts of their bodies-or in Alphonse’s case, his entire body-from trying to resurrect their mother from the grave. This anime is different because there’s an older version just called Fullmetal Alchemist, but anime viewers everywhere agree that Brotherhood, a remake of the original, is better because it’s more faithful to the manga it’s based off of.

I could go on and on about many other animes I’ve enjoyed, like Angel Beats, but we would be here all day! Maybe I will write again about other animes, especially once I get around to watching more, but for now, the ones I’ve listed are some of my more recent watches and absolute favorites that I think most people could enjoy!

Sabrina is a senior Professional Writing major with a Social Media Theory and Strategy minor at Kutztown University. As of August 2022, she is the senior editor for the Kutztown University chapter. Her interests are crochet, pets, and browsing social media.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur