Girl With Hair Blowing In The Wind Fall
Girl With Hair Blowing In The Wind Fall
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

15 Songs That Give Me Major Fall Vibes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Everyone has seasonal traditions. Certain foods or TV shows, and for me, songs have certain vibes. Below, I have compiled a list of songs that make me feel like lying down in a pile of leaves or driving down a road in Vermont filled with orange and red trees.

Ohio by Patty Griffin ft. Robert Plant

I’ve recently stumbled upon Patty Griffin’s music, and I am totally in love. She lives in the Folk and Americana genres of music. “Ohio” is one of my favorite songs because you can just move freely. It’s a slower song, but Griffin’s voice is so soothing and raw.

On + Off By Maggie Rogers

Maggie Rogers is a queen and all of her music is amazing, but this is one of my favorite songs. It’s a weird, but fun, dance song. A lot of Maggie Rogers’ music takes influence from french dance music, and that can be felt here. Check out the rest of her discography for amazing music!

Betty by Taylor Swift

My real suggestion is to listen to the entire Folklore album because the soft alternative style makes it feel right out of a fall afternoon. I have a lot of favorites on this album, but the one that makes me feel like driving down that Vermont road is “Betty.” Just look at the lyric video! It’s a literal fall day walk. It’s also the first song Taylor Swift says “fuck” in, and I really love that vibe.

Night Moves by Bob Seger

The first time I heard this song was actually on an episode of Supernatural. It was on the episode “Baby,”  filmed completely from the POV of their infamous 1967Impala. I don’t know if it’s the fact that it was in Supernatural, but this song just makes me want to dance around outside yelling the lyrics.

The Steps by HAIM

I love girl groups. I love a trio of women making good music, and HAIM is no exception to that rule. They make amazing dance music, and while I could listen to them all year round, “The Steps” feels like a fall song to me.

Side Effects by Joseph

I heard the band Joseph on the NPR Tiny Desk series. They’re three sisters who write and perform their own music. I love a lot of their music, but this is one of my favorite songs. They have other songs that are more of a feminist anthem, but the softer love song that this is just makes me smile. Definitely recommend checking out the rest of their music!

Pressure To Party by Julia Jacklin

This is one of my favorite songs to dance to. It’s such a good song to rock out to in your bedroom with your fuzziest socks on.

Like Real People Do by Hozier

Most of Hozier’s music feels like it belongs in the season of fall, but this is one of my favorite songs he’s written. If you’re looking for soft vibes for the middle of the night underneath a visible starry sky, Hozier is what I recommend for the soul.

The Nearness of You by Norah Jones

I performed this song myself, and I just think of it as a cold weather song. Fall or Winter are acceptable seasons for this song. The warm feeling of the chords accompanied by her sultry voice just make you feel embraced and wrapped in a blanket. It’s also a fun jazz song!

Crowded Table by The Highwomen

Country music usually isn’t my thing, but I love The Highwomen. It’s the best of the female artists in country music making amazing music together. This song talks about the desire to be surrounded by family and loved ones. It reminded me of Thanksgiving and the desire to just feel loved. I don’t skip a song on their album when I listen to it, so definitely check it out.

Landslide covered by The Chicks

I love The Chicks. They are another one of the only other country bands that I really like. As I said before, I’m a sucker for a girl group making amazing music. I love a lot of their songs, but their cover of “Landslide” is one of the most gorgeous songs they have. Their voices are simultaneously powerful and warm, and that’s something else I love.

Two Ghosts by Harry Styles

Harry Styles is obviously a huge musician, and while I love a lot of his songs, this is one of my favorites. I am in love with the electric guitar introduction, and it’s another one of the slow rocking out songs.

Motion Sickness by Phoebe Bridgers

I first heard Phoebe Bridgers in the band boygenius. She formed it with two other NPR Tiny Desk Concert alumni. They released an EP, and it was amazing music. The EP led me over to her individual music, which is also entrancing. “Motion Sickness” makes me feel like I should be driving down a road surrounded by trees, and I love every second of it.

Sleep On The Floor by The Lumineers

I struggled at which song to put on this list from The Lumineers. They’re a great band and I’ve performed a lot of their stuff, but “Sleep On The Floor” gave me the most fall vibes. You’ve probably heard their song “Ho Hey,” but check out “Sleep On The Floor” for another example of their awesome music!

Wherever You Want To Go By Patty Griffin

Okay, yes I put another Patty Griffin song on here. And yes, I also heard this song on Supernatural. This song is very sad, but it’s also very endearing. Patty Griffin really welcomes you into this song, and makes you understand what you’re supposed to feel without you even realizing it. This is a song that I like to listen to while lying on my bedroom floor with my eyes closed, just absorbing it. Please check out Patty Griffin’s music and come fangirl about it with me.

Grace Heinlein

Kutztown '23

A music major writes for a blog. That's the joke. You get it?
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur