This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Disney has been with us for our entire lives, and we all have that one movie that will never leave our hearts no matter which new movie (or live-action remake) comes out. The Disney movie I bring to every underrated movie conversation is the 1998 film Mulan. I feel it gets forgotten and hidden in the shadows of bigger blockbuster hits such as Frozen or The Lion King, so it is my duty to bring it the attention it deserves. Here—in no particular order—are ten reason why Mulan is the best Disney movie.

1. Family Themes

The most important thing to Mulan is her family, which is her whole purpose for masquerading as a man to join the army in place of her elderly father. She isn’t doing this to gain fame or fall in love but to save the ones she loves.

2. The Music

I workout to “I’ll Make a Man Out of You” every time I’m at the gym. Mulan has some seriously underrated songs to help any kind of mood you’re in.

3. Mulan Destroys Gender Roles

Mulan is unable to take her father’s place in the Chinese army at first because it’s a job that is too dangerous for the women whose purpose is to bear children. However, Mulan disguises herself as a man and proves them all wrong. It’s impossible not to root for her.   

4. A Bisexual Character

Despite the controversy this has collected over the years, it’s hard to deny the chemistry General Li-Shang had with Mulan, even before he discovered her ruse.   

5. Diversity

Although Disney has gotten better at this recently, we can all admit they haven’t exactly been very inclusive with their animated features. White princesses have ruled the big screen, but Mulan set forth to be Disney’s first Chinese heroine.

6. Value of Intelligence

Mulan doesn’t rely on her beauty to conquer and achieve her goals in this film. She also can’t rely on brute strength either; she uses her smarts to get her through situations on more than one occasion.

7. A Sinister Villain

Shan-Yu is terrifying to look at and absolutely ruthless. He isn’t the type of villain you can sympathize or fall in love with like some of the other Disney movies. Maybe it’s better to teach children to not be attracted to a man who wants to hurt you?

8. She Doesn’t Marry a Man at the End

It seems as though every Disney movie ends the same way: a wedding. The princess marries the prince and lives happily ever after in his castle. However, in Mulan she is offered a prestigious position on the Emperor’s council but declines so she can return home to her family.

9. Mulan was the Savior

Going along with reversing gender roles, Disney flips the script in this movie and has Mulan saving the day rather than her male counterpart. It seems like all hope is lost and Shan-Yu is about to be victorious, but Mulan is the one to rescue the men—and all of China.

10. Finding Yourself

As Mulan sings in another great song, “Reflection,” we understand that she struggles with what a lot of young people do: finding their place in the world while also trying to make their family proud. Mulan is relatable in her search for inner peace, and she even finds it in the end. Mulan is a courageous woman we should all aspire to be.   

Bonus: Mushu and Lucky Cricket

Eddie Murphy as Mushu is one of the funniest sidekicks there is in a Disney movie, and Lucky Cricket is too cute to handle.  

Jessica Garrison is a professional writing major and women's, gender, and sexuality studies minor at Kutztown University.