This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

This list is comprised of novels I have read multiple times and some I plan to read this Halloween season.

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Starting right off the bat (get it?) is Bram Stoker’s famous novel about the vampire Count Dracula. Surprisingly enough, I have not read the entire book yet. I have started it before but never finished it, even though Dracula is one of my favorite classic monsters. This novel is at the top of my reading list this Halloween season. 

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

This novel, published in 1818, is one of my favorite novels of all time. I have read this book multiple times for different classes and for fun. This novel shows just how monstrous humans can be when sorting through life and death. Frankenstein’s creature is not the monster of the novel. 

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Okay, so this is not a novel per se,) but I just have to add something from Neil Gaiman. I read this graphic novel years ago for school and love it. The movie adaption is one of my favorite Halloween movies (as mentioned in a different article). The graphic novel, however, is much more dark. It will satisfy your “other” self quite well.

The Shining by Stephen King

HERE’S… a creepy book. I have never read this novel before, but I have seen parts of the movie. I feel like anything Stephen King could be read for Halloween, but I would like to read this novel just because the movie seemed interesting. I normally dislike scary books, but I am willing to give anything a try once. A crazy hotel with twins seems less scary than a crazed clown, anyway.

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

If you are looking for a book that is both fantasy and realistic, this is it. The idea of drinking a chemical and turning into a feral, murderous, creepy version of yourself is only possible in fiction. However, the symbolism of split personalities, especially between good and evil, is something anyone can relate to.

Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury

Similar to Stephen King, Ray Bradbury has many novels that are perfect for the Halloween atmosphere. This novel is one that I personally wish to read. The idea of traveling through time and space to learn about the meaning of Halloween, while searching for a lost friend, is quite eerie — yet fun.

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

If you are into vampires, anything Anne Rice will do. The first book I ever read by her was this novel about a young man turned into an immortal vampire. I was intrigued by the humanity that the young vampire tried to hold onto. Nevertheless, vampires and Halloween go hand in hand.

The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells

While this novel is science fiction, it has similar aspects to Frankenstein and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. While he is invisible, the main character slowly goes crazy, turning to harm other people. This is one of my favorite novels to read around Halloween simply due to the invisible crazy guy messing with a whole town. 

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirly Jackson

I had to read this book in a Gothic literature class. It was not quite what I expected. While the Netflix series is far creepier, there is still a ghostly feel to the novel. The ending certainly was not expected. Twists in the road are a Halloween favorite.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling

No list would be complete without mentioning the Harry Potter series. Any of the 7 novels in the series would be quite good to read, even though all 7 in one month is a stretch. However, I recommend starting at the beginning with the first novel. Rediscovering the story of young Harry Potter and his first year at Hogwarts is a great way to get into the fall/Halloween spirit. 

Kaitlin McElroy

Kutztown '21

I am an English major with two minors (History, and Women's and Gender Studies). I love books, writing, and discovering new things.