Winter Olympics: What do you look forward to?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi started this past weekend. The USA currently has 16 medals, placing them third overall in the standings. USA currently has four gold, four silver, and eight bronze medals. The Winter Olympics conclude Feb. 23 so there is still more time for some medals. In the next couple weeks, what will you be looking forward to?

Figure Skating

There was plenty of controversy surrounding Ashley Wagner being picked for the Women’s team. She was part of the US team that took the bronze home in the team fire and ice dance. The pair’s skating takes place on Feb. 11 and 12. The ladies’ programs are on Feb. 19 and 20. It concludes with the mens’ program on the Feb. 14 and 15. 

Snowboarding

The US snowboarding team is off to a good start. Sage Kotsenburg and Jamie Anderson took home gold for the mens’ and womens’ slopestyle. Also, Shaun White is looking to get his 3rd consecutive gold medal in the mens’ halfpipe. That event takes place on Feb. 11. Will it be possible? 

Skiing

Hannah Kearney, a gold medal favorite took home the bronze medal in freestyle skiing, while Bode Miller took an eighth-place finish. There is still some alpine skiing to look forward to. The next event is Monday, Feb. 10 which is the ladies’ super-combined downhill. 

Hockey

The US womens’ team beat Finland in the first round. Their next game is Monday, Feb. 10 against Switzerland. Many believe the womens’ team will claim the gold medal this year. The only thing they have to do is beat the Canadian team, another gold medal favorite. The mens’ hockey team plays Slovakia, in their first game on Feb. 12. Will the men be able to get a gold medal or settle for a silver?

These are just some of my favorite sports to watch during the Olympics. What are your favorite events to watch? Go team USA!